• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK 790 / TK 890 Dual Band Setup Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I already have a TK 790 w/ remote head in my possession.

I have been looking at the TK 890's for a dual band setup. All the TK 890's I have seen are designed for no lower then 450MHz. Will it work below 450 for 440 ham? When in dual band setup, do you have 160 or 320 channels? Does it scan both VHF and UHF frequencies at the same time? Do you use one antenna for each radio or one antenna hooked to one radio? If I purchased a TK 890 with no remote head(Head mounted on radio), will it still work in the dual band configuration?

TIA,

Tim K.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber

I have been looking at the TK 890's for a dual band setup. All the TK 890's I have seen are designed for no lower then 450MHz. Will it work below 450 for 440 ham? When in dual band setup, do you have 160 or 320 channels? Does it scan both VHF and UHF frequencies at the same time? Do you use one antenna for each radio or one antenna hooked to one radio? If I purchased a TK 890 with no remote head(Head mounted on radio), will it still work in the dual band configuration?

TIA,

Tim K.

I bet it would, I have a TK-3180, and its banded for 450-520 and I put 444 in it- and the software came up with a warning saying that it was out of range, but it still set it into the field, and it transmits and recieves fine on those.

mrweather

I have been looking at the TK 890's for a dual band setup. All the TK 890's I have seen are designed for no lower then 450MHz. Will it work below 450 for 440 ham?
It should. However, each radio is different. The software will give you an error when you program in anything below 450 but the radio will take it. Some 890's will go down to 440 without any problems but some will go out of lock below 445 (repeating "chirp" when you select that channel on the radio).

When in dual band setup, do you have 160 or 320 channels?
160 channels total.

Does it scan both VHF and UHF frequencies at the same time?
Yes. In order to scan multiple groups you have to enable it in the software.

Do you use one antenna for each radio or one antenna hooked to one radio?
Since you've got one head controlling two RF decks (drawers) you have two antenna jacks: one UHF and one VHF. You could connect them to a diplexer (Comet, Diamond, etc.) and use one dual-band antenna. Or you could run separate U and V antennas. I've done it both ways for my 790/890 setup but found the separate antennas gave the better performance.

If I purchased a TK 890 with no remote head(Head mounted on radio), will it still work in the dual band configuration?
Absolutely. You only need one head. You will need the dual-band kit (KRK-7DB) and one thing to ensure is both RF decks have the same firmware version. If they're different, your dual-band setup might work, might not work, do weird things like lock up, etc. You'll also need to modify the hardware on one of the RF decks in order to allow dual-band operation (involves moving a couple of 0 ohm jumpers around).

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
It should. However, each radio is different. The software will give you an error when you program in anything below 450 but the radio will take it. Some 890's will go down to 440 without any problems but some will go out of lock below 445 (repeating "chirp" when you select that channel on the radio).

160 channels total.

Yes. In order to scan multiple groups you have to enable it in the software.

Since you've got one head controlling two RF decks (drawers) you have two antenna jacks: one UHF and one VHF. You could connect them to a diplexer (Comet, Diamond, etc.) and use one dual-band antenna. Or you could run separate U and V antennas. I've done it both ways for my 790/890 setup but found the separate antennas gave the better performance.

Absolutely. You only need one head. You will need the dual-band kit (KRK-7DB) and one thing to ensure is both RF decks have the same firmware version. If they're different, your dual-band setup might work, might not work, do weird things like lock up, etc. You'll also need to modify the hardware on one of the RF decks in order to allow dual-band operation (involves moving a couple of 0 ohm jumpers around).

I have gottent that beeping sound, but that was when i tried to program stuf in the 350 range.

romsky

Kenwood Dual band Setup

Can anyone tell me which jumpers need to be modified?

I have a TK-890H -> TK-690H -> KCH-11 Full Featured Control Head.

Does it matter which order the radios are hooked up? (I heard that the lowest band must be radio 1 but not sure which order they are numbered). And which jumpers need to be modified on which radio?

mrweather

As a starting point, find yourself a copy of a 690, 790 or 890 service manual. There is some discussion about dual-band mods you need to do. I'll see if I can dig up the KRK-7DB manual for specifics.

romsky

I've got the service manual, but it doesn't specifically address the dual band setup. I'm ti the point where I may just pay to have the mod done. I'm pretty sure two jumpers need to be removed, one added and a wire run... but I don't know which ones and in which radio.

RolnCode3

I've got the service manual, but it doesn't specifically address the dual band setup. I'm ti the point where I may just pay to have the mod done. I'm pretty sure two jumpers need to be removed, one added and a wire run... but I don't know which ones and in which radio.
On page 18 of my TK-690H(B) service manual, it has a small chart. My 790 manual shows the same chart, but on page 20.

For radio 1 there is no modification necessary for any of the remote head kits.

For radio 2, it breaks down like this:

KRK-5 & KRK-6DH: no mod

KRK-7DB & KRK-8DBDH: Remove R546 and R661; Move R602 to R705

I have my 690 as radio1 and 790 as radio2. I didn't know about moving jumpers, so I hooked them up and the whole thing stopped working. Couldn't program, use, anything. Haven't gotten back in to move jumpers yet.

mrweather

There are two radio plates that come with the KRK-7DB. The plate for Radio 1 has two connections: one "to head" the other "to radio". The plate for Radio 2 has one connection: "to radio". The short control cable that comes with the KRK-7DB kit is used to connect Radio 1 and Radio 2 via the "to radio" connectors.

Radio 1 needs no hardware modifications.

Radio 2 requires removing chip (zero ohm) resistors R546 and R661.

Radio 2 requires moving chip resistor R602 to R705.

You need to look at the circuit board diagram provided in the service manuals (as mentioned above).

Also, it is important both radio bodies have to have the same firmware or the dual-band setup won't be stable/won't work.

n1pma

Premium Subscriber
There are two radio plates that come with the KRK-7DB. The plate for Radio 1 has two connections: one "to head" the other "to radio". The plate for Radio 2 has one connection: "to radio". The short control cable that comes with the KRK-7DB kit is used to connect Radio 1 and Radio 2 via the "to radio" connectors.

Radio 1 needs no hardware modifications.

You need to look at the circuit board diagram provided in the service manuals (as mentioned above).

Also, it is important both radio bodies have to have the same firmware or the dual-band setup won't be stable/won't work.

So if I want to separate a 790/890 with radio 1 being the 790 can I just disconnect radio 2 (890) and program as normal, i.e. create a new single radio 790 codeplug?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
OK, just shooting from the hip here. If the 790 is already radio one, you can disconnect the 890 (radio two)
and just program as single band radio with VHF freqs and all will work. As long as there are no UHF channels to address the 890 there should be no errors.

No guarantee though, but easy to do for experiment. Save original file in case the whole thing barfs.

If the 790 is radio two you'll have to undo the mods to make it radio one (painful).

n1pma

Premium Subscriber
OK, just shooting from the hip here. If the 790 is already radio one, you can disconnect the 890 (radio two)
and just program as single band radio with VHF freqs and all will work. As long as there are no UHF channels to address the 890 there should be no errors.

No guarantee though, but easy to do for experiment. Save original file in case the whole thing barfs.

If the 790 is radio two you'll have to undo the mods to make it radio one (painful).

Thank you for your quick reply! I will try this tomorrow. I have a dual band setup that I am trying to narrowband for a fire department and it has very early firmware where it did not like being narrowbanded (squelch does not hold on narrow channels) and they really only listen on UHF so I figured convert to single band VHF blast in new firmware and reprogram.

I will let you know how it works.

Craig

n1pma

Premium Subscriber
ramal121,

I was able to break up the set just fine, everything worked as you said since the radio I needed was radio #1. With radio #2 removed I was able to program the radio #1 as a standalone AND update the firmware.

Thanks for all the help!!

Radioman16,

Do you know if the 890 was radio #1 or radio #2? If it is radio #1 then you won't need to do a thing, if it was radio #2 then there are things you will need to undo. Below is a list of things that you need to do to an x90 series radio to make it radio #2 in a dual band setup, those are what would need to be UNDONE to make the radio work.

I hope this help!!!!

Craig

mrweather

You need to do the reverse of the "Radio 2" instructions posted above.

Any drawer that was designated "Radio 1" won't have any hardware mods done to it and can simply be re-programmed as a standalone radio again.

radioman16

ok thank you. it is radio 2. it came with krk 7DB on the radio does anyone know if that will work or will i have to get the krk 5 for it.

mrweather

To make it a standard remote-mount radio you'll need the KRK-5 and KCT-22 control cable (if you don't already have one). A 30-Series control cable will work as well (once you remove the molded-in mounting plates on the cable ends).

medic190

firmware question

Sorry to resurrect this thread but... I have a number of 690/790 configuration units. Some have differing firmware from deck swaps...

I've done firmware updates on single units, wondering if when they are set up as dual band if the firmware will dump into both decks or if I have to do the dreaded separation to update them...

I have a pretty large fleet (about 170 vehicles) and want to update them all to the most recent firmware to alleviate any issues moving forward.

Thanks in advance!

firefighterjh

Feed Provider
HI all I am also trying to make a Dual Band single head radio out of a 790/890. I have a full function control head, updated the firmware on both so I know they match. When I make the board mod and put them together all I get is a clicking noise in radio 1 and the control head flickers once and all remains off. If I try to read or dump in a program with the radio 1 and 2 config I get more clicking noise in radio 1. I have put the board mod back to normal and then done it to the other radio and I get the same result. Normal everything up and the radios work independently. Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.