• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-790H audio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffmedic14

Premium Subscriber
OK, now that my 790 is functional; upon powering the unit up; I cannot get any audio from the external speaker. I have double checked the chassis and the "loop" allowing audio to return back to the remote head is in the correct postion (pins). The remote head also has the pins in the correct positions. To best describe the issue; when turning the unit "ON" you can hear the speaker but no power tone. And there is no audio from the radio. Stupid question, I checked the unit BEFORE installing it into my truck. Sooo, I have not hooked the antenna up yet......would that be the issue?? HELP??? Thanks!!!

code3cowboy

Where are you plugging your speaker in? Did you jumper the audio at the body to send the audio to the control head molex or are you feeding the speaker through the RF deck molex?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
To best describe the issue; when turning the unit "ON" you can hear the speaker but no power tone.

So what you are saying is when you power on the radio, you hear a mild thump in the speaker but no other audio? The thump is normal and comes from the audio PA during power up. This would mean the speaker is hooked up correctly. My concern would be why no other audio is getting to the PA.

First, how about programming? Is there anything set for speaker A/B or public address or anything? Would this cause a problem? Lemme think a minute....

How about squelch noise. Press and hold monitor button until busy comes on. Do you hear noise?

Last edited:

ffmedic14

Premium Subscriber
ramal121; yes the speaker "thumps" when the radio is turned on. I have tried squelch noise w/o success as well using the monitor button.......no noise. I will try and check the programming later today for the A/B speaker setting. Thanks!

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
Just dealt with this today.

have you checked to make sure the speaker is operational (works)

Double check the pins in the connector. I believe you need 2 and 6 for the external speaker

ffmedic14

Premium Subscriber
OK, checked the pin placement; On the deck there is a loop from pin 3 to pin 6 to send audio to the remote head. On the remote head pin 1 has an ignition lead for power & pins 10 & 11 have the leads that run back to the external speaker. I have not checked to see if the speaker is good or not. Is there a quick way to do that?? Thanks in advance.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Your loop jumper and speaker wires are in the correct pin position so no prob there. The speaker thump says all is OK, but the best way to check it is to unhook it and put it across another speaker from some other equip that is known working.

The audio power amplifier in a 790 has two inputs and two outputs (guess the chip was made for a stereo). This is for speaker A/B operation. The B speaker output goes directly to the secondary speaker without jumpers or whatnot. Speaker A output only has one jumper, the loop wire on the back of the chassis connector. Speaker A can be hooked to the chassis connector, or the control head courtesy of the loop wire. Speaker B can only be hooked to the connector on the radio chassis.

Switching for this dual speaker setup is done by the radio (ahead of the audio PA) which sends audio to either input A or input B for whichever speaker you want to use.

Now before it gets too deep, remove the speaker from the head and plug it in to the chassis connector pins 7 and 8, the speaker B output, and see if you get anything. To remove the pins if you don't have the correct removal tool, you'll need to use something small, sharp and pointy to press in the little captive "finger" of the pin. It'll slide right out.

Let us know how this works...

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Sorry about that. Gotta watch those speaker leads with the voltage on them. Shorting them will blow yhe fuse or wreck the PA.

Well if there was no luck on pins 7 and 8, it is starting to sound like an internal problem. Someone with a schematic and some test equipment will have to trace the audio chain to see where it quits. At the least you will have to get the fuse replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.