• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-790H Programming Cable Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Going to try to program my TK-790H. Looking on eBay for programming cables and I find some with a USB port and others with an RS232 port. The other end is the round proprietary Kenwood mic plug. Does it matter which cable I purchase? Is there a difference in how the cable will work or extra things I'll need on one vs. the other? Thank you!

a417

U+0000
Does it matter which cable I purchase? Is there a difference in how the cable will work or extra things I'll need on one vs. the other? Thank you!
The serial one can be built from an old mic cable in about 15 minutes, the USB one has a bit more under the cover and is more demanding to assemble (should you build your own).

The computer that I use for programming has a 9 pin serial port, so I use that. If the computer didn't have that...you'd have to either use USB or provide it a serial port. It depends on the infrastructure at hand.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I have bought several programming cords from this ebay seller and have had zero issues with any of them... but they all have had the ftdi chipset that is plug and play with windows.
This is the one I have programmed several TK-790's with including my own and it has worked flawlessly

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
I have bought several programming cords from this ebay seller and have had zero issues with any of them... but they all have had the ftdi chipset that is plug and play with windows.
This is the one I have programmed several TK-790's with including my own and it has worked flawlessly

While I have not used TK-x90 mobiles, I have also bought several USB-serial cables from that seller with excellent results.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
You can also read/write data (I don't believe you can do firmware though)) files via the rear DB-25 with just a plain of the shelf rs232 modem cable. If all you computer has is USB, then try to use an FTDI chip for any RS232 conversion.

Jim

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
I have a few of both usb and serial between radio bags and the shop. i prefer serial but the USB ones from Sundely and such are fine. the FTDI chips are ok, if you can find ones with legitimate Prolific chips, they seem to work the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.