• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-790H Tx audio from accessory connector- audio terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5812

I am using my tk-790h as a temporary transmitter on a vhf repeater. I have pins 2-ptt,13-mic audio, and 7-ground going to the controller. It keys up as it should but the audio coming out is horrible. Sounds like a ton of background noise and cannot hear any voice just mostly hiss and static. Did I possibly make a mistake on which pin is tx audio? Any other suggestions?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Pin 13 is the microphone input. Make sure you have the right interfaces.
Pin 25 is "Mic Earth". Shouldn't matter, but I could be wrong.

The input needs to meet the following specs:

MIC/Data signal input 1 (Default : DI)
Input impedance
DI : 10kΩ or more​
MI : 600Ω​
Coupling
DI : DC coupling​
MI : DC coupling​
Frequency response
DI : ~9.6kHz +1/–3dB (1kHz=0dB)​
MI : Compliance with TIA/EIA-603​
Deviation
DI : 60% deviation or more​
(1kHz 2.5Vp-p input)​
MI : 60% deviation​
(1kHz 5mV ±1.5mV input)​
Not sure what kind of repeater controller you are using, but making sure the specs on the interface meet that of the radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looking at what I posted, make sure you have the input set for MI, not DI. The DI input is for data, and will have poor sounding audio. Setting it for MI will give you better audio response, if you haven't done that already.

WX5812

I cannot see where it gives me an option to switch between mi or di. Do you by any chance know how to switch that?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
To select between DI and MI is done with jumpers on the control board. You would look for 0 ohm resistors. For MI R640 needs to be in and R641 needs to be out.

But it appears your radio is correct as what you describe sounds like the mic (MI) input is grossly over driven. Look again at the specs again and see it only takes 5 mV for 60% deviation. That's pretty darn low. I find some external equipment can't really go that low or the adjustment is just too touchy. I always add a 10K resistor to the mic line for Kenwoods. This pads down the audio and raises the TX audio adjustment of your device up into a more medium range where it is easier to get it dialed in.

WX5812

To select between DI and MI is done with jumpers on the control board. You would look for 0 ohm resistors. For MI R640 needs to be in and R641 needs to be out.

But it appears your radio is correct as what you describe sounds like the mic (MI) input is grossly over driven. Look again at the specs again and see it only takes 5 mV for 60% deviation. That's pretty darn low. I find some external equipment can't really go that low or the adjustment is just too touchy. I always add a 10K resistor to the mic line for Kenwoods. This pads down the audio and raises the TX audio adjustment of your device up into a more medium range where it is easier to get it dialed in.
I will try that!
I had a Motorola mts2000 as my transmitter and audio was fine when taken out. This is my first go around with a Kenwood in its place. Thanks for the tip

WX5812

First of all thank you to everybody that has responded so far I appreciate all the help.

Update on this project.

Rx radio is a TK-790H (bad pa)
TX radio is a TK-790 mid power model

I put a 10k resistor at the mic input. The audio from the controller and out of the transmitter is crystal clear and beautiful (courtesy tone,cw id and speech synthesizer) . But for some reason it does not pass voice audio. I know the receiver is hearing because the controller is Acknowledging all my DTMF commands. Every single digit. So as of right now I am stumped as of why voice audio is not being passed through. Any thoughts?

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
First of all thank you to everybody that has responded so far I appreciate all the help.

Update on this project.

Rx radio is a TK-790H (bad pa)
TX radio is a TK-790 mid power model

I put a 10k resistor at the mic input. The audio from the controller and out of the transmitter is crystal clear and beautiful (courtesy tone,cw id and speech synthesizer) . But for some reason it does not pass voice audio. I know the receiver is hearing because the controller is Acknowledging all my DTMF commands. Every single digit. So as of right now I am stumped as of why voice audio is not being passed through. Any thoughts?

Where are you getting RX audio from the receive radio?

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Is JP1 present in the RC96? Have you adjusted the RX level (R102)

Is the output from the controller is good I'd look into the RX path into the unit (even though it's decoding DTMF).

WX5812

I will look at the controller and see about that. Today I hooked it to a Motorola GR1225 And it worked just fine. It possibly could be the Kenwood receiver radio bad

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Per the service manual, the audio level from pin 17 is 125mV so JP1 should be present.

WX5812

Upon inspection JP1 is not Connected. I will put a jumper in that tomorrow and report back. Are you familiar with ACC controllers?

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Not at all. I'm just reading the manual online as we go back and forth.

I suggest going onto the Repeater-Builder site and groups.io list for more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.