• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-8180 UHF/UHF Mobile Repeater Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnyres

Can anyone help me?
I own a business where we exclusively use Kenwood TK-8180 mobile and TK-3180 portable radios which are strictly UHF. We have one area where the use of the portable (TK-3180) radios simply cannot hit the repeater but the mobile (TK-8180) radios have no problem. I would like to set/build up a UHF/UHF mobile repeater in my car so that we can use the portable radios in the field while using the UHF/UHF mobile repeater to boost the signal.

I know that a cross-band VHF/UHF mobile repeater system would be a simpler choice. However, we already have all UHF radios, and it would be incredibly expensive to purchase a bunch of new radios just to set up the cross-band repeater system. I’m only interested in a UHF/UHF mobile repeater which I am aware will require a filter.

I have looked at the Pyramid Communications Vehicular Repeater and that is WAY too pricy for my blood. I have tried searching all over the internet to see how this can be done (including youtube) to no avail. Can anyone please send me step-by-step instructions on how this can be done (With all parts and cables needed) or even this can be done? Video would be awesome.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It can be done, but you are going to have some challenges.

The big issue with "inband" repeaters like this is having the 2 frequencies you need that are separated enough to not cause desense. What frequencies are you licensed for? That'll be the big challenge.

Knowing what frequencies you have will be necessary to give you the right information.

Used Pyramid repeaters are on E-Bay all the time, often for less than $100. That might be an option, and it won't require tying up a 8180. Using 2 8180's back to back is kind of a waste since one of them will always be running at low power. A used Pyramid might be a better choice.

You'll need the filtering. That won't be easy or cheap since it'll need to be tuned for your specific frequencies. You probably don't want to be trying to do this with the cheap Chinese/e-Bay filters, either.

The interconnection between the two radios is the easy part, if you have some basic soldering skills. All the connections you need to make are already on the rear DB-25 connector.
You'll also need to do some radio programming to make the pins on the connector do what you need.

Before you dive too far into this, there are some other options that might make more sense. Giving us a more detailed explanation of exactly what you are doing will help a whole lot. The distance between the handheld users and the truck with the mobile extender system would be helpful.
The frequencies you have available, or what your FCC call sign is would give us a good place to start.
What's your budget?
What's your skill level?

12dbsinad

Depending on what your needs are, you could try one of these:

X10DR - Secure Wireless Microphone for Mobile Vehicle Two Way Radio - Secure Wireless Microphone for Mobile Vehicle Two Way Radio

This is a Bluetooth system that works with your mobile radio. Super easy installation with no worries of filtering or desence. Of coarse, don't expect the same range from the vehicle as a 4 watt portable, however if you figure in any desence that may be present, that can knock your range down a lot.

I have never personally used one of these, But figured I'd give it a mention.

dnyres

I know this will definitely be a headache of a challenge.
To answer your questions; I am licensed for (Commercial Trunked System) RX 471.2XXXX through 472.8XXXX, TX 474.9XXXX through 475.8XXXX.

I'll have to look into the used Pyramid repeaters are on e-Bay!! When I talked to a Pyramid sales rep, he seemed to be against that saying it would still require installation. Which, I can do that myself; I figured that was him just wanting to make a sale. But, what about programming? Not sure how that works.
It wouldn't bother me if the TK-8180 was constantly running on low. As long as it works...

What type of filter, and how much do they cost approximately? Where would I find these filters?
I have looked at a wiring diagram of the DB-25 connector. It seemed easy enough. This is where I looked at the wiring diagram [http://forums.radioreference.com/ke...-x180-mobile-cross-band-repeat-heres-how.html]. I do have the radio programming software, I have programmed all of my company radios myself. I even updated the firmware to enable MDC1200.

Okay, we are a security company, we're never more than at most 200 feet away from our patrol cars at any given time. I figured if I could set up the TK-8180 to RX in simplex, then TX in duplex to the repeater on the mountain with our handhelds transmitting in simplex (Using a single conventional frequency) maybe just a couple numbers off from our trunked frequencies (Having the same single matching frequency in the receiving TK-8180). would possibly work? I am renting the repeater signal from a radio service provider.

I can spend approx $500 to $800 per vehicle. We're a new and very small company. But, we run across a LOT of dangerous incidences where it's difficult to radio for help on our portables in just the one city for some reason. It's not like we can ask the person we're dealing with to hold on while I go back to my car and radio for help. Don't go anywhere! lol

Skills? I can program my Kenwoods with my eyes closed. And I was a wiring tech for 4 years, building and wiring fire, smoke, and toxic gas monitoring alarm systems for oil companies around the world. With radios, or what I'm looking to do to remedy the problem, I am completely new. I have thought about contacting my radio service provider to see if he could setup the service on a second repeater closer to my problem spot with the same exact frequencies. I don't even know if that is possible to have two repeaters with the same frequencies that close together without it causing a problem between the repeaters fighting one another.

Last edited:

dnyres

Depending on what your needs are, you could try one of these:

X10DR - Secure Wireless Microphone for Mobile Vehicle Two Way Radio - Secure Wireless Microphone for Mobile Vehicle Two Way Radio

This is a Bluetooth system that works with your mobile radio. Super easy installation with no worries of filtering or desence. Of coarse, don't expect the same range from the vehicle as a 4 watt portable, however if you figure in any desence that may be present, that can knock your range down a lot.

I have never personally used one of these, But figured I'd give it a mention.

Bluetooth is usually good for up to 30 feet. We do go much further away from our cars than that quite often. It's not a bad idea if we were always within that range.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, I agree, trunking is going to make this a bit difficult, but not impossible. If you only use one talkgroup and your users are "trainable", it'll probably work.

Ideally, for what you describe, the long range microphones would be a much better choice. There are some that are not bluetooth, so you don't have the 30 foot distance limitations. You can do a couple hundred feet with them. They are pretty much plug-n-play. Probably a lot less headaches.

My concern is that the frequencies you listed are pretty close together, so getting the separation you need in a mobile environment is going to be nearly impossible. The filters necessary to do that are going to be costly. This is why most agencies you out of band repeaters. The few that do in-band have a LOT of separation between frequencies. Recently the FCC opened up some 174MHz range frequencies for use by agencies with VHF systems. That was necessary to get the frequency separation needed from the 150-160MHz stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.