• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-8180K vs. Non-K

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Alright Kenwood experts. Back for stupid questions #2 and #3. :D

What is the difference between the K and Non-K versions?

Will KPG-89D program both? The software shows 8180 and 8180H, but I'm not sure if that covers the K model or not too.

Thanks!!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
K is the North American market model. KPG-89D will work with that. If you get the non-K model, it could be a different market radio, and the software will not work.

As for the software, theres multiple versions….
KPG-89D is the old pre-narrow banding software.
KPG-89DN is the post-narrow banding software.

The firmware in the radio will dictate which one you use. The pre-narrow banding firmware will let you use KPG-89. The post-narrow banding firmware will only let you use KPG-89DN. That's important on the UHF models since they will only do narrow across the whole spectrum. The amateur 70cm band is —secondary— allocation. On the VHF radios, they'll still allow wide below 150MHz.

Just be sure which version you are getting...

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
K is the North American market model. KPG-89D will work with that. If you get the non-K model, it could be a different market radio, and the software will not work.

The firmware in the radio will dictate which one you use. The pre-narrow banding firmware will let you use KPG-89. The post-narrow banding firmware will only let you use KPG-89DN. That's important on the UHF models since they will only do narrow across the whole spectrum. The amateur 70cm band is —secondary— allocation. On the VHF radios, they'll still allow wide below 150MHz.

Perfect!! Thank you so much!

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber

That's not true on the 180s. It is true on the similar looking NX-x00 radios. There is no narrowband only firmware on the 180 series. You can use 89D on the newest firmware (and you have to if you have the Tactical Feature Set enabled)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's not true on the 180s. It is true on the similar looking NX-x00 radios. There is no narrowband only firmware on the 180 series. You can use 89D on the newest firmware (and you have to if you have the Tactical Feature Set enabled)

Thanks for the clarification. I don't work with many X180's, mostly NX radios.
Even more reasons for them to be good for ham/GMRS use.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification. I don't work with many X180's, mostly NX radios.
Even more reasons for them to be good for ham/GMRS use.
They're great for good old simple analog.

I'm still kicking myself for replacing my 7180/8180HK2 pair with TFS for 5710/5810s.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They're great for good old simple analog.

I'm still kicking myself for replacing my 7180/8180HK2 pair with TFS for 5710/5810s.

If any of my old Motorola CDM's ever crap out, they'll probably get replaced with 7180's. I've got a ton of NX-900's at work, so lots of spare accessories. And I may be retiring some 5710H's at work here in a while, one of those may have to end up in my personal truck.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
If any of my old Motorola CDM's ever crap out, they'll probably get replaced with 7180's. I've got a ton of NX-900's at work, so lots of spare accessories. And I may be retiring some 5710H's at work here in a while, one of those may have to end up in my personal truck.
Kick those Waris radios to the curb. I know the Moto guys would cringe, but the Waris series is a POS. The only decent thing was the simplicity of their remote mount kits. I've got a pile of them here I won't touch with a pole, but give them to all the ham repeater linking guys who think the world of them.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kick those Waris radios to the curb. I know the Moto guys would cringe, but the Waris series is a POS. The only decent thing was the simplicity of their remote mount kits. I've got a pile of them here I won't touch with a pole, but give them to all the ham repeater linking guys who think the world of them.

Yeah, I agree. Not perfect radios, but I'm a cheapskate first and foremost. I keep looking at TK-5710's on eBay, but every time I do, I remember I've got some coming.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I liked them at first, but all of my 5710s have been sold on ebay except for one pair. I still have a 5810HK2v3 to list as well. Most have been replaced with 5700/5800s. I would have kept them around longer if they KRK-7DB kit worked on them, otherwise they're just too bulky. Now's the time to unload them as they are NIFC approved for USFS.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I didn't want to start a new thread for all my stupid questions (I'm a Kenwood newbie!), but I just got a 8180K, and I'm very impressed. Really nice radios!

The only thing I can't seem to do is assign the power level (high / low) to a button. Is that possible on the 8180? I sure can't find it anywhere in the drop down, unless Kenwood calls it something super weird.

Thanks guys!

bruch

Premium Subscriber
Nope assignable by channel only. You can put the same channel in twice once hi power, and once low power, Sorry.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The only thing I can't seem to do is assign the power level (high / low) to a button. Is that possible on the 8180? I sure can't find it anywhere in the drop down, unless Kenwood calls it something super weird.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, there's not an option for that.
You have to set each channel to a power level. With 512 channels, you can program them in multiple times.

This is one of those features that isn't "ham friendly". While some radios do allow it, even other Kenwood models, this one doesn't. Usually the end users are just appliance operators and they shouldn't be adjusting power levels.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the answers guys! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Just testing these out for now. A local off-road group is looking to install mobile gear for GMRS, and you can't go wrong with the price of the 8180s. They're not happy with the Midlands some of them have now (wish they would have asked first). Some want to be able to use their bubble pack handhelds at the same time on different channels, and I'm just worried about potential desense with those crappy things.

All my Moto gear, which is what I generally use for everything these days, is set for 5w and 40w selectable. No big deal, I'll just create high power and low power channels.

Thanks guys!!

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
On the 180s it's a portable only option.

The newer NX-5x00s will let you set power level Hi/Med/Low on the mobiles. Not sure on the NX-x00s.

Now just order the Tactical Feature Set so you can have FPP on Zone 0 and cloning.

Status
Not open for further replies.