• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-8302 Horn Alert issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik211

Hi,
I am soon going crazy with trying to get a few TK-8302's to work with Horn Alert. Previously I have successfully programmed and configured an old TK-868G (with the option cable) and a new TK-D840 for Horn Alert. These radios work as expected - when receiving the correct tones, the Horn Alert is activated.

But I can't seem to get it right with the TK-8302 radios. I assume they should have the same pin-out on the Molex connector (HR1 at pin 13, HR2 at pin 14, ground at pin 3? I'm driving the open drain circuit with power from SB, pin 1 over a 12 Ohm resistor to HR1, pin 13, and have a relay connected between HR2 and ground. This works for the D840 radio).

I have done the following settings in the KPG124D CPS:

Channel:
QT/DQT Decode - none
QT/DQT Encode - none
Optional Signaling - 2-tone 1

Optional Features -> Common 1:
Off-hook Decode: Checked
Off-hook Horn Alert: Checked
Horn Alert Logic Signal: Pulse
Horn Alert Mode: Startup

Optional Features -> LED:
Blue LED: Horn Alert

Key Assignment:
Triangle: Horn Alert

I have the 2-tone 1 set up, and when the radio receives the correct tones, it beeps, flashes orange LED and opens the speaker. So I reckon the 2-tone should be configured correctly.

I also tried to set the Emergency Information to activate the Horn Alert. When I assign the emergency to a key and tries it, the emergency TX cycle starts, but the Horn Alert output is not activated on the output.

Could it be a hardware issue? But I have 3 brand new radios, which all behave in the same way. I believe the TK-8302 use an open drain circuit with the help of a transistor called Q724 in the schematics, so I don't see that the KAP-2 relay option board would be fitting this radio (plus that the radio already has a 15 pin ACC DB connector in the back).
Or maybe they just skipped the Q724 transistor in this make? (I haven't examined the interior of the radio yet).

Any ideas or at least a straw to grasp would be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Erik

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The KCT-60 cable is used for both the TK-D840 and the TK-8302. Pinout is the same.

Schematic shows the Q724 used as the horn switch. Sounds like you have it hooked up correctly.

ohiohonda

Looks like Resistor 789 needs to be removed for the Horn Alert or Ingition Sense function to work.

Attachments

• Horn Alert TK-8302.JPG
    Horn Alert TK-8302.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 25

Erik211

Looks like Resistor 789 needs to be removed for the Horn Alert or Ingition Sense function to work.

THANK YOU @ohiohonda !!
This did the trick. I have been struggling with this radio for two weeks, thinking that I did something wrong with the programming och connections to the KCT-60.
Once I desoldered the resistor it's working as expected.

I just struggle to understand why Kenwood would put this resistor in at the first place? Perhaps protection of some kind...

Also - out of curiousity - from where is the instruction? I believe I have read through the service manual of the radio pretty thoroughly without seeing this.

ohiohonda

Glad that I could help. This was not in the service manual. It was in another in-depth manual for this specific model radio. Kenwood will install these resistors/jumpers to enable or disable options. Normally these jumpers are to disable one feature to enable another feature because only one can be used at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.