• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-860

cpw266

I have a TK-860G that the display is stuck in LOCK. Is there any way to clear it? It wont let me progran the radio even with a PC. The display will change to PC when I read the radio but i get a communication error in the computer program.
Thsnks

Vern

Premium Subscriber
Never used one myself, but I did stumble across this info:

Follow instructions to see if yours has ability for Front Panel Programming.
Best of luck.
Vern

ncjones28677

Premium Subscriber
I have the Kenwood tk860h. you need a computer that's windows xp with a real rs232 port the usb will not work.
I use freedos and not dosbox. I bought the software and cable together from bluemax on Ebay. I have no luck at all with usb connection to the computer. Kenwood relies on com ports 1,2
I

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
I have the Kenwood tk860h. you need a computer that's windows xp with a real rs232 port the usb will not work.
I use freedos and not dosbox. I bought the software and cable together from bluemax on Ebay. I have no luck at all with usb connection to the computer. Kenwood relies on com ports 1,2
I
The TK860H and 860G are two different models. The 860G uses KPG-56D and there is a windows version of that fpu, no dos box needed. We program them all of the time with USB cables.

a417

I
I have programmed x60h & x90h (as well as moto spectras) on a windows XP VM (on linux) via prolific usb <-> serial adaptor and the serial cable. It can be done. Kenwood's are a little bit more forgiving, if the OS can provide a low COM port, the KPG software will usually try to use it.

From a purist sense, it's a collection of probably the least forgiving (and most maligned - here's looking at you Prolific 2303) set of components , yet it can be done carefully.

Last edited:

cpw266

The TK860H and 860G are two different models. The 860G uses KPG-56D and there is a windows version of that fpu, no dos box needed. We program them all of the time with USB cables.
What if the display continually displays “Lock”

cpw266

I talked to one guy in Canada that said it was probably from a fleet and had a security lock. I thought about getting a DTMF handset and seeing if I could enter the correct sequence, but I'm not retired yet:) I need one of those gadgets you see in the spy flicks that runs thru every possible combination in seconds.

cpw266

So I tried what you said. Built a file and tried to push it to the radio. The radio displays "PC" when I execute write or read commands but the computer says "Please check all connection and communication port settings. If I execute a test command from the PC the radio displays "Tuning" but I get the same error message on the PC. Like one way communication. At least now I can get it out of lock if I power cycle it a couple times. "Progress, however slight is still progress"

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK.

"PC" means the radio can see the PC is talking to it.

Check connections would indicate a cable issue (possible, but unlikely) or an issue with the software/radio not matching.

What is the FULL model number of the radio?
What software are you using?

cpw266

KG 56 win windows XP 32 bit. I have both the standard serial cable and the usb/serial cable. Both react the same. Funny I haven’t had the same issues with my old Motorola M1225. It programs just fine on the same PC

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
KPG-56D is the correct software for that radio.

There should be an FCC ID number on the back of the radio. If that is there, then it should be a North American market radio. If it doesn't have one, then it is likely from another market.

It's been a while since I touched that, but when you set up the programming software, it'll ask for a serial number. That should 056K44 followed by a bunch of numbers. That sets the programming software for the North American market. If you set up the software with that to match the market code in the radio, then it should work. But, like I said, its been a while, so I may be off.

Often what I've run into is people download the software from the internet and don't realize they are setting it up for a different market code.

The 'TUNING" and —PC— you are seeing says that the computer/cable are talking to the radio, but it's not liking something.

The other cause may be that someone touched the radio inappropriately with the wrong firmware.

These radios are a bit old, so my memory may be foggy. Don't trust this 100%, but might give you a place to start.