• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-863G Scanning Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwoodgeek

Alright, so I purchased a TK-863G unit off of eBay, and I'm programming it up to put in a family member's car.

I've been able to navigate the KPG-76D software for it very well, for the most part, but when it comes to scanning, I'm completely clueless. The scan functions on this radio obviously work very different than every other Kenwood unit I have, and I'm getting frustrated trying to figure it out and match the operation to the other ones.

I have 3 conventional "systems", each with a list of "groups" (I don't know why they aren't just called channels). I have the "SCN" button programmed for scan, and the "D/A" button programmed for scan delete/add.

While I'm in a certain system, I want the radio to only scan the added channels in that system, and I want to be able to pick those channels using the scan add/delete button.

Right now, I have it programmed for "List type system scan", since the other option automatically scans, which I don't want. For some reason, on this option, my D/A button is disabled. When I'm on my first system of frequencies, I can hit the scan button, and the screen will read "Scan 1" and so on for the other systems, but the radio won't actually scan those systems. It will just listen on the first channel in that system, and everything else it will ignore.

I've tried turning group lockout to off on all the frequencies, but that just seems to make the radio scan automatically without the scan even on, which, again, I don't want.

So, is there a way to make it scan like this, and how can I program it to do that?

Thanks in advance.

k9wkj

are you planning to use it trunked?
if yes i havent a clue
if no...i found each channel must be programmed as a group so you only get 32 channels
dont know if im helpful or not....

kenwoodgeek

No, just conventional. Thanks for the information.

I think you mean each channel must be programmed as a system, because there are only 32 systems, each with groups in them which are the channels.

Either way, I'm done messing with the thing. I'm just going to not use the scan. Never seen a Kenwood with such weird programming before; this thing is absolutely ridiculous.

k9wkj

yes thats what i ment
each channel has to be a system
i guess i assumed mine scanned, but UHF is so light around here i never noticed if it worked or not
i have one 863 set on 446.200 as a 1200baud packet node (i got access to a stick at 150ft)
and i have one in a box here waiting for a need
i got them at different times at auction being advertized as a "kenwood cb"
one was $4
the other was $12 but came with a 12 amp astron PS

kenwoodgeek

Wow, did you get some sweet deals. I love when people advertise stuff having absolutely no idea what they're selling and basically screw themselves by giving the customer an unbelievable deal.

I got this one for $45 a few days ago, and it came in the mail today. It was definitely used in some kind of emergency vehicle, probably a police car or fire truck, and it had a light bar switch box/controller zip tied to the mounting bracket on top.

It was a good deal, being that they usually go for closer to $60.

k9wkj

maybe i wont tell you about the high power VHF Astro W9 i got for less than $10

or the 2 recapped VHF mid power Spectras and the two TK-830s and the 6 UHF maxtracs and the VHF 32 channel maxtrac I got in a box as trash

or the TK-6110-K2 for $7

and they just keep coming........

kenwoodgeek

Sweet, I've gotten some free ones, too, haha.

Local school bus company threw out two Kenwood TK-8150 units and one Kenwood NX-800H. Gave them to me. Nothing wrong with them at all.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Use fixed system scan. It'll operate more like a non-trunking Kenwood radio.

This parameter specifies the system Scan Type.

Fixed System Scan :
After the current system (the Revert system when scanning starts) is scanned, the transceiver starts scanning the next system that is not locked out ("System Lockout = No").
If no call is found within a set interval, the transceiver continues to the next added system. The systems for which "System Lockout" is set to "Yes" are not scanned.
A group Scan is performed for systems with groups that have group lockout set to "No".

Note :
System Lockout cannot be set for each system unless "Fix System Scan " is selected for this parameter.
"Scan List" is used instead of "System Lockout" when "Edit/Scan information/Scan Type" is set to "List Type System Scan".

List Type System Scan :
After the transceiver scans the current system (the Revert system when scanning starts), Scan proceeds in accordance with the "System Scan List" of the Revert system. A group scan is performed for each system.

Note :
A Scan List cannot be created for each system unless "List Type System Scan" is selected for this parameter.
"System Lockout" is used instead of "Scan List" when "Edit/Scan information/Scan Type" is set to "Fix System Scan".

Default :
Fixed System Scan

KPG-76D Help

kenwoodgeek

Thank you for that information, but can the fixed system scan be turned on and off with a button? I don't want it running all the time.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
This is a LTR trunking based radio, even when used with conventional channels. You've discovered this as the radio is programmed by systems and groups.

Earlier LTR radios only allowed the user to add or delete systems for scan by a button on the front. To change what groups are scanned requires the programming software and select group lockout that way.
No way to change that on a 863.

Now with a TK-X80, it would do the same thing however if you changed the model type from trunking to conventional the radio magically changes to zones and channels and the scan would work more as you would expect it would. The 863 is stuck as a trunking radio so one group per system is the only way to get what you want.

kenwoodgeek

Got it, thank you very much for that information. I've got it working just the way I want without the scan, so I'll just leave it like that.

I'm glad that was cleared up, haha. I was getting awful frustrated with it yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.