• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-880-1 software question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlbutlien

NY til 01 Chicago til 09, Volusia FL since then
We are trying to program several TK-880-1 (UHF) radios

Some of them are Version 1 and some are Version 2. the Version 2 radios program just fine with the KPG-49D software 4.02.

However, we seem to have trouble with the V1 radios - they give an error message when you try to write to the radio. You can bypass the error but the radio behaves oddly. In one case we seem to have written garbage to the radio based on the display, which we were able to recover from. In another case, the radio would suddenly go into open squelch.

Can someone tell me what the proper software version to use with the TK 880-1 Version 1 radio is.

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR SOMEONE TO PROVIDE ME WITH THE SOFTWARE. (I know better, and I have read the warnings.) I am simply trying to determine what the correct software is.

Thank you in advance for any useful information.

K2NEC

KPG-49D is the proper software. I'm using 4.01 and can program TK-880's just fine. Are you in the trunking or conventional format?

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
I would update the firmware to the version 2. We had hundreds of 880's on our LTR system and Kenwood R&D told us it was OK to update the mobiles, and portables. We never had any issues in doing that.

Jim

AA4TX

The message you are getting happens when you have a Version 2 feature set in the file and try to program it into a Version 1 radio (typically FleetSync, but if I remember correctly, there are a few others). I have never had it cause any harm continuing after the warning, though. You CAN load the Version 2 firmware into a Version 1 radio without any issues.

a417

isn't 1.520x the Passport f/w from the third party? Push a version 2 firmware, reprogram with 49D and you should be good to go.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
does anyone have a doc showing the process for the firmware update?

6. Firmware Programming Mode

6-1. Preface

Flash memory is mounted on the TK-780/780H. This allows the TK-780/780H to be upgraded when new features are released in the future. (For details on how to obtain the firmware, contact Customer Service.)

6-2. Connection Procedure

Connect the TK-780/780H to the personal computer (IBM PC or compatible) with the interface cable (KPG-46). (Connection is the same as in the PC Mode.)

6-3. Programming

1. Start up the programming software (KPG-49D), select “firmware program” in the “Program” item, and press the Return key on the personal computer. This starts up the firmware programmer.

2. The top screen is displayed. Press any key to advance to the next screen.

3. Set the communications speed (normally, 57600 bps) and communications port in the Setup item.

4. Set the firmware to be updated by File select (=F1).

5. Turn the TK-780/780H Power ON with the [SCN] switch held down. Hold the switch down for two seconds until the display changes to “PROG 57600”. When “PROG 57600” appears, release your finger from the switch.

6. Check the connection between the TK-780/780H and the personal computer, and make sure that the TK-780/780H
is in the Program mode.

7. Press F10 on the personal computer. A window opens on the display to indicate progress of writing. When the TK-780/780H starts to receive data, the [P] icon is blinking.

8. If writing ends successfully, the LED on the TK-780/780H lights and the checksum is displayed.

9. If you want to continue programming other TK-780/780H, repeat steps 5 to 8.

Notes :

• To start the Firmware Programmer from KPG-49D, the FPRO path must be set up by KPG-49D setup.

• This mode cannot be entered if the Firmware programming mode is set to Disable in the Programming software (KPG-49D).

• When programming the firmware, it is recommend to copy the data from the floppy disk to your hard disk before update the radio firmware. Directly copying from the floppy disk to the radio may not work because the access speed is too slow.

6-4. Function

1. If you press the [MON] switch while “PROG 57600” is displayed, the checksum is displayed. If you press the [MON] switch again while the checksum is displayed, “PROG 57600” is redisplayed.

2. If you press the [D] switch while “PROG 57600” is displayed, the display changes to “PROG 19200” to indicate that the write speed is low speed (19200 bps). If you press the [D] switch again while “PROG 19200” is displayed, the display changes to “PROG 38400”, and the write speed becomes the middle speed (38400 bps). If you press the [D] switch again while “PROG 38400” is displayed, the display returns to “PROG 57600”.

Note : Normally, write in the high-speed mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.