• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-880 Transmitting But Not Receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmwwe

I recently acquired a used Kenwood TK-880 from ebay and I have programmed a few channels into it with the KPG-49D version 4.02 software. All of the programmed channels will transmit without any problem and be received by another radio, but when I transmit from the other radio I get nothing at the TK-880. The LED does not come on when it should be receiving and the it remains absolutely silent as if nothing at all is being transmitted to it. The radio emits beeps when buttons are pushed so I don't think there is a problem with the speaker. I've double checked my programming (TX and RX freqs are the same, no CTCSS codes set, etc.). The microphone, antenna, and coax cable that came with the radio are also used so should I be concerned there is a hardware problem, or is there possibly an identifiable problem I'm overlooking with my programming that might be causing the Will TX / Will Not RX issue?

Maybe the squelch level is set too high for the rx to open. Sensitivity of the radio could also be set wrong. Could also be hardware.

Program an open squelch button and see if you hear anything while someone else transmits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Project4

>>The LED does not come on when it should be receiving and the it remains absolutely silent as if nothing at all is being transmitted to it.<<

Two things you might check in the KPG-49D.

1) In the Optional Features, tab 1, be sure the "Conventional Busy LED" is selected. (Near the bottom of the second column).

2) In the Group Data window, be sure the "Data" box is not selected. (Last item of the second column). Otherwise your receive audio is "always muted".

Cyborg

com501

Are you using it in the 440 ham band? If so, you might want to find a strong local station in the commercial spectrum, for instance, your local ambulance or hospital channel in the 460 range, program a channel up there and see if it works.

Most 880s won't lock up on RX in the 440 ham band without realigning the VCO, You might also program in a simplex channel at 449.750 TX and RX and see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.