• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK 890H DC 12v POWER CONNECTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQYU924

Please help a Newbie with a seemingly simple question.

I purchased a "Taken Out of Service" TK-890H 110w UHF radio with "basic" remote head controller.

Out of the back of the radio is the 12v DC connector with 2 red and 2 black leads.
I have never come across 2 before.
They were cut short to about 18" when removed from original vehicle.

What is the correct way to put inline fuses and connect to battery?
Should they have 4 separate connections? Can they be joined together to create one lead each up to the battery? (one positive one negative)

This is my first HD land mobile install, and I want to do it right.
Also any suggestions or comments on this series of radio would be gladly accepted.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Since it's the "H" model, it's a high power unit. Both red leads can be connected together and both black leads can be connected together. You can feed with single + and - power leads, but keep in mind that this radio draws about 25 amps when transmitting. You'll need to run a suitably sized power feed to support that based on the distance of the run.

30 amp fuse on the + lead is recommended.

As for fuses and connecting to the battery:
You'll need a heavy enough cable to power the radio. Since the power connector is already cut off the back of the radio, I'd recommend getting an appropriate connector rated for at least 30 amps at 12 volts DC. Put the male connector on the radio and the female connector on the power lead coming from the battery.
You need to install a fuse within a couple of inches of the positive connection at the battery. This is extremely important to protect your vehicle if the cabling gets damaged.

Route the positive power lead from the fuse to where the radio will be mounted. Use grommets anywhere the wire passes through metal.

The negative lead is usually best grounded to the vehicle body near the radio, but you'll need to make sure the negative side of the battery is properly grounded to the vehicle body. Some choose to run the negative all the way back to the battery. If you do run the negative all the way back to the battery, make sure to ground the radio chassis as close to the radio as you can. Do not rely on the negative power lead as the radios ground connection.

Good solid radios, many still in use in the public safety market. A bit limited by todays standards, but still a good unit.

cmdrwill

As I mentioned in another post, use the correct grade GXL or TXL wire. Automotive grade rating for use under hood. I get mine from wirebarn.com, Nate Garland, in Mi.

Probably 8 Ga.

WQYU924

Thank you for the information mmckenna and cmdrwill.
I appreciate the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.