• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK290/390 Cps

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Going through old stuff and found a few of theses. I tried to program them with the cps I had from before. None of the versions I had would run on windows. I sure that at least one worked with windows in the past albeit older version for sure. Anyway I can program these?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
KPG-38 needs to run in DOS.

It's been a while, but I think I was able to get it to run under Windows XP.

Other option, download a program called Rufus onto a USB drive and set your older computer to boot up on that. That'll go into pure DOS mode. You can load KPG-38 onto the USB drive and run it off that.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully I find old Lenovo formerly mounted in my vehicle (cracked screen but working at retirement). XP

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hopefully I find old Lenovo formerly mounted in my vehicle (cracked screen but working at retirement). XP

That's a good option. I have an old one from the early 2000's that I've kept running with windows XP and a lot of older software on it. I don't use it very often, but when I do, its invaluable.
Even if you can't find it, getting old laptops from flea markets or e-Bay is really easy.
There's a pretty good market of used/refreshed Panasonic Toughbooks on eBay if you want to go full beans into it.

wd8chl

I'm using KPG-38DN V2.01 in Win10 no problem. There are still some 290/390's out in the field-not many, but some.
I even use the KPG-22U USB cable to program them.

mrweather

I still maintain an old Thinkpad with a real serial port and running MS-DOS 6.2 for programming my TK-x90 portables. :)