• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK5220 Case Studies/References

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whmoco

Our business is proposing to replace Tait TP8100 with Kenwood TK5220 to a local entity. We have the names of agencies who use the TK5220 product, but are looking for case studies or something similar to present to client. So far, we have only found names of entities who use this product. does anyone know if there is such a thing as a case study on this product?

Can't help you with any case studies, nor have ever seen a request for one.

But I can vouch for the little TK-5220 beauty. Nice P25 compact radio.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Physically, the TK-5220 is identical to the NX-200. Same radio, same internals, just a NXDN or P25 firmware. In fact, you can purchase an NX-200 and have it upgraded to do P25.
Not sure if the physical design of the radio is the question, or the actual conversion from one brand to the other is the big question There are a lot of NX-200/300's out there in law enforcement use, so it shouldn't be hard to find others that have done it.
Not sure if that is what you are asking or not.

Whmoco

Thanks. As far as I know, Kenwood Corporate doesn't have anything like this either. It would be a nice piece to have.

jrw14493

My advice is call those other agencies and ask them how they like their TK-5220's instead of relying on a biased study put out by the manufacturer....Cough...Cough....Motorola....Cough...Cough. Another thing I do is program up a couple portables identical to their current channel line-up and let them try them. So far I've only had 2 agencies tell me that the TK-5220 radio performed equal to or worse than their current radios out of dozens. Let the customer be the judge. The radios will sell themselves.

If the radio battery is fully charged and the radio is aligned properly, it will work perfectly. Also, utilize the KRA-25 antenna. In our tests it does make a difference, especially on TX from the radio.

Good luck!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree, I did the same thing. I gave one of our sergeants my shop TK-5210 programmed up to match their hand held radios. They liked it, but just too big. Since they didn't need P25, I was able to secure an NX-210, and they were happy with that. I think they would have been happy with the NX-200/TK-5220 sized radio if I'd had one to give them.

I concur with the KRA-25 higher gain antenna, however the last batch we got were aftermarket antennas, and not built as nice as the stock antennas. In fact, the "KRA-25" we received is identical to a low buck "high gain" VHF antenna I purchased a few years ago. Nowhere near as nice as the Motorola high gain VHF antennas. Other than that issue, we've been happy with the NX-410's and NX-210's we have.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
It would be nice if there were some hard case studies out there but however I have not seem them. You'll just have to dig up actual comments on the radio in question.

We recently demo'd the TK-5220 to a fire district and the biggest beef they came up with was the wimpy detents on the channel knob. Maybe the receive audio was just not up to their liking . That's about all.

You'll have to really dig to get actual user comments which I think will be way more valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.