• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK690H Programming issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie_master1

I'm losing my mind with this radio. I bought the right cable $99.00. I have two versions of kpg44d. I have the DOS version and the Windows Version. I can't read this radio to save my life. All I want to do is change a PL setting on one channel 2 second fix but I can't read the radio. The DOS version gives a communication error. The Windows Version does the same thing but if you click retry it will read up to 129 blocks out of 192 then stops. I'm thinking it's the cable. I tried reading a TK890 with the same results. I have a little experience with radios (Motorola) and I'm a little frustrated. Any thoughts???

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
  1. What operating system is your computer running?
  2. Does your computer have a real serial port or are you using a USB-to-serial converter?
  3. Do you have a licensed copy of KPG-44?
  4. Did you buy a Kenwood KPG-43 cable or a clone?

jamie_master1

What operating system is your computer running?
Dell ATG Laptop with XP

Does your computer have a real serial port or are you using a USB-to-serial converter?
Yes Com 1 set at the OS Default of 9600

Do you have a licensed copy of KPG-44?
Yes, I have both DOS Version and the Windows Version.
Which brings me to another question should I be using the DOS Version or Windows?

Did you buy a Kenwood KPG-43 cable or a clone?
I did buy a clone from rfguys.com which I think is my problem.
Where can I buy Authentic Kenwwod cables?
I've always used clone cables for my Motorola stuff without problems.

Thank You

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
You can contact Kenwood directly and they can direct you to a dealer in your area as they work in territories. I use a genuine cable on all of my 790s and never had a problem. It should run you around $65 for it.

Vermontradio1966

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
DOS version

Go for the factory cable.....I have had the same issue. I only use factory cable for the X90 series.

Last edited:

AK9R

Super Moderator
Which brings me to another question should I be using the DOS Version or Windows?
Should make no difference. I use the Windows version in an IBM ThinkPad T23 (which has a real serial port) running XP with no problems.

I did buy a clone from rfguys.com which I think is my problem.
Where can I buy Authentic Kenwwod cables?
I bought mine from American Communications Systems. I think the factory cable is the way to go. Note that unless they've changed the KPG-43, it comes with a 25-pin serial connection on the computer end. You'll need a 25-pin to 9-pin converter or cable. Long time ago, I latched onto a supply of what were once called "IBM PC modem cables" which are 9-pin female on one end and 25-pin male on the other. Works great with the KPG-43.

Last edited:

mrweather

Should make no difference. I use the Windows version in an IBM ThinkPad T23 (which has a real serial port) running XP with no problems.
I heard/read that somewhere that a radio programmed with the Windows KPG-44D cannot be read/written with the DOS KGP-44D. Is that true?

AK9R

Super Moderator
I've never tried. Once I got the Windows version working, I didn't bother with the DOS version.

vorndamr

TK-690 Plug

The TK-x90 series mic plug that Kenwood came up with is the worst plug I have ever had to deal with. Make sure it is aligned correctly and all the pins will push in and out to make a good connection. Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.