• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK7180 Front Speaker Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinw251

I have a little delimma guys, Ive got 3 kenwood tk7180's each one the front speaker works great with the simple radio beeps. but It will not Play any RX Audio. Ive searched far and wide for a answer and have been all through the software but I have found nothing. Only thing I didn't know if there needed to be a jumper wire installed in the rear in the acc port somewhere or if the jumper on the inside needed to have the pins swapped from 4 and 5 to 5 and 6. I didn't want to start touching wires together on different pins. Any ideas would be great guys. thanks for your time.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Off the top of my head, I'd suggest making sure the maximum volume level setting isn't turned down all the way. You'll need the programming software and cable to check that.

Then again, what leads you to believe it isn't receiving? Could be the QT or DQT is set differently on the decode side, which could block it from receiving.

Where did you get them? Did you program them? Mmckenna could be right that maybe you programmed them wrong. Try to program a button for open squelch and see if you get anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

dustinw251

I did program them Myself but the .dat file was a copy of the one we use in our station radio and our rescue. the only thing I changed was the key functions and the fleetsync. The radio does show receiving because when it scans and I key up on talk around or repeater from another radio it will open that channel and you can see the screen notifications are showing transmission along with the green LED. I will Test the open squelch this evening and see what it does. They were purchased second hand from an online source.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There is an internal jumper, but it's for the PA and Horn Alert function. From what I can see on the schematics, it should not affect the front speaker. Do not short any pins on the rear DB25 connector, there is a 12 volt source on there, as well as some grounds. You don't want to let the magic blue smoke out of your radio.

dustinw251

Well the main reason i mentioned the jumpers was after my "tinkering" i removed the 6 pin jumper block from the main board right behing the speaker. All it had was a jumper wire going from 5 to 6. When i did that it killed all audio. I have a kenwood dealer friend here in s. La i spoke to him earlier im gonna bring it to him and see what we can find. I will post my results if he will tell me that is.

dustinw251

Well i really didnt get the response of it is shot but time got the best of us. The last thing we found was that it is not dead audio it is in a muted state because under a very quiet area you can hear the audio coming from the speaker. The last thing we checked was the audio amp was recieving voltage and cannot figure out why on pins 2 and 3 which was 0 on a brand new radio. Pin 2 was getting a voltage of 7.25 and pin 3 was getting a 1.4 any ideas on what could be feeding this? Or any ideas why it could be in a muted state. Again as i said before the synthetic tones produced by the radio are clear and loud as normal.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well i really didnt get the response of it is shot but time got the best of us. The last thing we found was that it is not dead audio it is in a muted state because under a very quiet area you can hear the audio coming from the speaker. The last thing we checked was the audio amp was recieving voltage and cannot figure out why on pins 2 and 3 which was 0 on a brand new radio. Pin 2 was getting a voltage of 7.25 and pin 3 was getting a 1.4 any ideas on what could be feeding this? Or any ideas why it could be in a muted state. Again as i said before the synthetic tones produced by the radio are clear and loud as normal.

Nothing off the top of my head. It would take some time with the right test equipment and the service manual to narrow it down.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They were purchased second hand from an online source.

I think that may be your clue right there. I've been pretty lucky and purchased some good used radios, but every now and then you get hosed.

Might cost more in shop time and parts than all the trouble is worth. Anyway, do you really want to trust a radio that may have been abused or damaged? Maybe for Amateur radio service, but not for fire/life safety stuff.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
If you have (or had) the beeps coming out OK, then the audio amp is OK and the aforementioned jumper is in it's proper place.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of signalling turned on keeping the receive muted. Have you gone through the programming?

You can try programming a button for squelch off. Pressing that will cancel all muting requirements and give you open squelch. Then see if you can hear anything.

Last edited:
Does your friend have a service monitor where you can do an alignment on the radios? Did you ever program that button I mentioned before to see if you can open the squelch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

dustinw251

Yes I did program the open squelch. I still havent figured it out but I did a empty write to it from kpg-92 then after it came back on I wrote my dept programming back to it and then out the blue it started playing audio. I jush wish I could have troubleshooted it to see what the exact issue was. I still have 2 more to do. But my laptop battery went.dead and the cord was still at my office. Im going to try n compare the other ones side.by side tom and see if I can find the difference it still bothers me though. I did fool with the switching in the modulation on the extended function and connected.the 2nd 2 just playing but I doubt that had anything to do with it. Unless they have a board.jumper.crossed.somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.