• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK790 ID ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klamathsteel

A contractor friend of mine just bought a water truck for contract fire work and it has two TK 790's in it. One is a TK 790 witch does NOT have a remote head and the other is a TK 790H witch DOES have a remote head. How can i tell if these radios are the "CDF" models ??
Thanks for any help !

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
This is from another user here on RadioReference.com. It worked for me as expected:

Reading firmware version on TK-790:
Hold 2nd button from left on head as power up = 1st layer
Then press far right hand button on bottom row= firmware version
1C77= 254 channel CDF; if it reads anything else, use regular KPG-44D software.

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
You need the KPG-44D FS (Fire Service); this is the designator for the California Fire Service software version. It has the additional frequencies / groups - up to 254, and the capability for the user to create a Command Group.

If it's not the Fire Service firmware, you will need the KPG-44DN software.

Larry

klamathsteel

Ok, so i found that one of the radios is the "FS" model and the other is standard model. Will the "FS" software work on both radios or do i need to buy two pieces of software ?
Thanks so much !

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
You will need the "KPG 44D FS" software for the FS model transceiver, and the KPG 44DN software for the "non-fire service' transceiver. Two different software programs.

Larry

klamathsteel

You will need the "KPG 44D FS" software for the FS model transceiver, and the KPG 44DN software for the "non-fire service' transceiver. Two different software programs.

Larry

Thanks for the info! I see the KPG 44D sofware on Ebay for around 30 bucks but have'nt seen the KPG 44D FS at all ???

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
FS software

The FS software is a little harder to come by since it seems that Kenwood has discontinued both the software and support for it. Try googling it and see if you have any better luck?

Larry

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
We discovered (in the same post lcrabtree got the last snip from) that you CAN program both radios with the standard KPG-44DN software, but you will lose the CDF feature set (the extra channels beyond 160, direct-select OST, and the command group) until you get the FS software. So, if you need the radios reprogrammed for immediate use, you can load an interim set into the radio to get you by until you get the proper software.

flux4201

Premium Subscriber
Unless someone has posted the FS model software somewhere on the internet, your going to have to buy it from kenwood or silverado. Silverado is the one that maintains the CDF firmware for the TK-790.

Status
Not open for further replies.