TLA searches and Boolean searches

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCO

TLAs: We seem to be overly fond of three letter acronyms in not only this hobby, but all of technology. Understandably, vBulletin is optioned to reject three letter or less searches because of the common word problem. Is it possible to implement a filter instead to just reject the unwanted common words - there are a lot of filter lists available. I've waded through the vBulletin site, but haven't seen an answer yet...

Boolean operators in searches: Quite often the TLAs are really associated with another word (like "export .KML" ). Using the four basic operators (AND, OR,NOT, ( ) <group>) would be great and might be a workaround for the TLA 3 letter exclusion.

Realizing either of these things would require more processor overhead in addition to the programming/configuration time.

Just a thought......

Happy Holidays!!

OCO

Thanks!
With the wealth of information contained in the every day forum postings, the ability to build more than single word searches would really be great!.
BTW - maybe a way around the TLA rule would be to allow them if they are part of a boolean search including another word......

Anyway, thanks again for considering the possibilities....

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
When this happens, as is common on all vBulletin boards since it's the default, I add an asterisk to the end.

OCO

When this happens, as is common on all vBulletin boards since it's the default, I add an asterisk to the end.

Yeah, I've done that, but then it's no longer precise - I just did "TLA* "..... I think I owe you guys a processor (must have been about 10 seconds):D
But it does at least provide a workaround....Thanks, Wayne.

Status
Not open for further replies.