TLS Cert expired/Broadcastify Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
It seems they knew when to renew, but forgot when to apply it. lol
I had websites for about 10 yrs (affiliate ecommerce sites) before I got out of them & didn't want to mess with them anymore, about 3 yrs ago. And you shouldn't have to renew certs & domains, they are a HUGH rip off to always have to renew. Hosting yeah I can see having to renew it, but the other two you should only have to buy once.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I had websites for about 10 yrs (affiliate ecommerce sites) before I got out of them & didn't want to mess with them anymore, about 3 yrs ago. And you shouldn't have to renew certs & domains, they are a HUGH rip off to always have to renew. Hosting yeah I can see having to renew it, but the other two you should only have to buy once.
I don’t agree with certs. It is best practice to update the private key, just as you would passwords. Also new ciphers and algorithms have been introduced that requires new certs. Certificates have come way down in price from what they once were.

K7MFC

WRAA720
And you shouldn't have to renew certs & domains, they are a HUGH rip off to always have to renew. Hosting yeah I can see having to renew it, but the other two you should only have to buy once.

You can thank Apple for this - they imposed their will on the industry a couple years ago and started throwing warmings on their software if a certificate is older than 398 days. Everyone else followed suit, and now you have to renew annually. There are some very definite upsides to this however:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
You can thank Apple for this - they imposed their will on the industry a couple years ago and started throwing warmings on their software if a certificate is older than 398 days. Everyone else followed suit, and now you have to renew annually. There are some very definite upsides to this however:

Google tried to push this before Apple, but the ballot failed.

SSL Certificate Validity Will Be Limited to One Year by Apple’s Safari Browser

It seems many were onboard with the idea, but not enough to pass.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sorry about that folks. I am at Mardi Gras in New Orleans and all of or Broadcastify Certs expired. They were renewed own time, but I never installed the updated certs but I incorrectly assumed we're using Cloudfront's certs which are free. But we run a lot of other servers for Broadcastify outside of Amazon and so we need to purchase certs for those servers.

Again, sorry. I was out on the town and wasn't able to address until the following morning (through blurry eyes)

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Sorry about that folks. I am at Mardi Gras in New Orleans and all of or Broadcastify Certs expired. They were renewed own time, but I never installed the updated certs but I incorrectly assumed we're using Cloudfront's certs which are free. But we run a lot of other servers for Broadcastify outside of Amazon and so we need to purchase certs for those servers.

Again, sorry. I was out on the town and wasn't able to address until the following morning (through blurry eyes)
Thanks for fixing the problem, things happen :)
Steve

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
oof, another blight on an already spotty track record for this company. There is a pattern emerging of putting users at risk due to negligence.
Or, maybe it was a simple oversight on a checkbox that we didn't followup on. The certs were renewed, just not installed correctly due to some miscommunications on my part.

All is well. Broadcastify lives on....

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
K7MFC said:
oof, another blight on an already spotty track record for this company. There is a pattern emerging of putting users at risk due to negligence.

And again here we are, RadioReference is demonstrating that they are still reactive and not proactive with their platform's security.

Use these and other past security incidents here to determine you own level of trust with this website.

Now that I've settled in, I want to follow up on Matthew's posts in this thread, because they tickle a particular itch that needs to be scratched.

Matthew Callahan (commenter above - @K7MFC is a software developer for a commercial real estate company, and he loves to armchair QB what we do around here, and holds himself up as a shining beacon of light of 100% accuracy and "this would never happen on my watch."

While Matthew has some commendable technology and leadership experience, the one thing he is missing is the ability to decern whether or not it is appropriate to make such comments in this type of setting. Sort of analogous to yelling at the President during the State of the Union address. Are you within your rights? Of course. Is it appropriate, absolutely not, never. Ever.

Has this online business had some security incidents? You bet it has. Have we been transparent and forthright each and every time about what happened? You bet we have.

I can assure you, Matthew, that the platform and work that we do here on RadioReference/Broadcastify is far more complex than any platform you've ever developed, managed, or worked on. Furthermore, the intricacies and interdependencies that we work through, and associated technical debt that we have incurred over the years (like any technical organization) don't match your experience level, nor any organization you currently or previously have worked for. It takes a HUGE set of balls (I'll give you credit for that) to come here and arm-chair us like you've done.

If we were not transparent, or we didn't communicate to our users, then you'd be well within your rights to say to us "WTF Man, get it together over there." But don't forget the largest, most well funded and staffed technical companies experience security issues, and downtime because someone forgot to do something, or a switch was pulled instead of pushed. It happens. You should know better. You work in this business.

Be a better developer and leader in the community and refrain from that stuff above, Matthew, because I can assure you that if I was a hiring manager evaluating you and I noticed you pull this type of crap online, I'd pass you over in a second, because you'd probably be an insuffurable jerk in a conference room when we went around the table doing a post-mortem about what happened during an outage or issue.

/rant over

CanesFan95

I'll vouch for you.

rbacal

Premium Subscriber
Now that I've settled in, I want to follow up on Matthew's posts in this thread, because they tickle a particular itch that needs to be scratched.

Matthew Callahan (commenter above - @K7MFC is a software developer for a commercial real estate company, and he loves to armchair QB what we do around here, and holds himself up as a shining beacon of light of 100% accuracy and "this would never happen on my watch."

Be a better developer and leader in the community and refrain from that stuff above, Matthew, because I can assure you that if I was a hiring manager evaluating you and I noticed you pull this type of crap online, I'd pass you over in a second, because you'd probably be an insuffurable jerk in a conference room when we went around the table doing a post-mortem about what happened during an outage or issue.

/rant over
I spent most of my career teaching people how to respond to verbal abuse, and nasty words, and I just HAD to commend you on the nature of your response.

CanesFan95

Looks like the wildcard SSL cert for broadcastify expired today.... my trunk-recorder instances cannot upload... anyone know if it's being worked on or if there is an alternative upload path?

@blantonl

UPDATE... I switched my config to use HTTP and uploads are now working.

Isn't it confusing how they merge threads on here? There's situations where you lose the order of was posted and it trips up readers and posters as the content gets all out of whack.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Isn't it confusing how they merge threads on here? There's situations where you lose the order of was posted and it trips up readers and posters as the content gets all out of whack.

I completely agree. It's much better to have multiple threads discussing the exact same thing because that isn't confusing at all. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.