Kenwood: tm-281/packet

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8krh

Has anyone used a KENWOOD TM-281 on packet, and did you use a SIGNAL LINK USB TNC WITH THE CABLE?

HOW DID IT WORK AND OTHER COMMENTS IF NEEDED.
TNX/73

PAT/K8LEN

ShawnInPaso

I don't think the 281A comes with a pre-wired acc jack for packet. You have to pop the top off and solder the related wires to the clearly marked locations on the upper PCB. You can Google it to see the upper PCB and how it is marked and ready for packet.

Having a couple of 271A radios which are very much like the 281A as is the PCB, the wiring and routing of the cable is pretty simple. The 271A has menu options to set the proper config for packet, not sure if the 281 still includes these settings or not.

Otherwise, the radio has excellent audio very suitable for packet.

EDIT to add: I had forgotten an old video I made which shows how to access and solder to the applicable solder pads on the PCB for packet (my use was different but it still applies).

Last edited:

kk9h

Premium Subscriber
I have been using a Kenwood TM-281A with a Kantronics KPC-3+ TNC for several years on packet radio, APRS and Winlink. They work beautifully together. I bought a cable from Byonics designed for their TinyTrak3 APRS tracker to work with Kenwood rigs which works perfectly with the KPC-3+ since the connections on the radio connector are the same.

73, Don KK9H

Status
Not open for further replies.