TM-D710A Auto QSY

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I recently converted from Motorola gear to Kenwood. I pickup a Kenwood TM-D710A and then a TH-D72A. On the TH-D72A under MENU > APRS > QSY(FREQ) [3A] there is the option for "QSY in Status","Tone/Narrow","Shift/Offset". All of these AUTOMACTICALLY put the information for my non-data band into my status showing how I can be reached. I think this is AMAZING so I went looking for how to do it on my TM-D710A. I found in the manual that if you use Status 5 it shows [Freq MHz] it will automatcially put in what frequency you are using on the non data band. from there on it does not show you anything about how to get Tone, Narrow, Shift, or Offset to automatically enter based on your current setting. Does anyone know if this is possible? Thank you for your time and assistance.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Reportedly, it's not possible. The firmware in the TM-D710 is supposedly full and there's no room to add the tone, offset, etc. features to the code.

LtDoc

One way of doing it is to put the necessary information into one of the 'Comments' blocks. You have the choice of several, just pick the one you would use at some particular time. It certainly won't be 'automatic', you'll have to do the changing of the comment, but it's a possibility.
- 'Doc

KD5DVL

Kenwood D-710

I have the D-710GA, but it's pretty much the same.

goto your APRS menu settings and find status text field #5 like you said

you can put in [Freq MHz] to populate your other band frequency, however the tone and offset cannot be automatically populated although there is a menu item for it (but it doesn't work)

Now, having recapped what you already know, here is someting that does work.....

Status #5 will send automatically in your beacon..... very cool....
so here is what you do if you are always monitoring the local repeater as I am, even when I am scanning.

My local repeater freq is 147.040 pl 173.8 +6 offset

I format my status message just like this:

147.040MHz T173 +060 Monitoring

set status 1/1

The D710 radios will receive this message on my beacon, and apply the frequency, a tone of 173.8 and the correct offset when another D710 radio (and probably Yaesu radio with tune function)

Usually the +060 is not needed since most radios automatically apply offset, but it will force the other radio to do the correct offset.

it must be formatted this way the "T" means wide.... if you specify lower case "t" it means narrow.... also tones are only 3 digits with no decimal as follows:

88.5 = 088
173.8 = 173
etc....

hope this helps, it would be really nice if they did add the variables for tone and offset, but I rarely miss a call using scan.

my email is correct on QRZ if you would like further information on this radio.
I am on a mission to spread the word so everyone can get their radio setup correctly... it only benefits us all.

you can contact me on KD5DVL-10 or KD5DVL-2 in the mobile also using APRS.

So many D710's out there, and only a handful are setup this way

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
147.040MHz T173 +060 Monitoring

set status 1/1

The D710 radios will receive this message on my beacon, and apply the frequency, a tone of 173.8 and the correct offset when another D710 radio (and probably Yaesu radio with tune function)
I believe the Yaesu APRS radios are very strict about parsing the QSY info and require the offset. Also, "MHz" must be capitalized exactly as shown.

KD5DVL

Awesome, I did read something about that too. I use MHz directly after the frequency, just wish I had a Yaesu to test it out on, but I do know that it works exactly as it should with the D710 radios.
I put the same status test in my beacon for my UIVIEW32 APRS base station giving APRS travelers an easy way to get on the local repeater and be able to talk to us.....

SilverXJ

I have the D-710GA, but it's pretty much the same.

goto your APRS menu settings and find status text field #5 like you said

you can put in [Freq MHz] to populate your other band frequency, however the tone and offset cannot be automatically populated although there is a menu item for it (but it doesn't work)

It appears to work on my D-710GA. Just select status text 5 and leave it blank. What ever you enter manually into #5 will be appended to the end of the Frequency, tone and offset. I just checked APRS.FI on one of my beacons and it showed the info the repeater I was on. "441.950MHz T107 +500 & V-Alert". The "& V-Alert" was added in #5 by me.

KD5DVL

So you left status 5 blank except for the voice?
And it auto filled your offset tone and frequency?

KD5DVL

Ok, I have confirmed that it does work on my radio as well.

Using a D710GA, select menu item 632 under APRS settings.

Turn on all 3 items and don't forget to save it.

goto status message 5 and enable it with nothing in there.

Make sure you select "use"

Your beacon will push out the frequency, tone and offset and allow other D710 users to read and auto tune to your voice frequency.

Thank you SilverXJ for giving me the missing piece to the puzzle.

Also, something to keep in mind, once you have it setup correctly and working, save the settings with the radio using a P button i.e. P1, P2, P3 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.