Kenwood: TM-V71A group scan function

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ7AXE

Has anyone used the group scan function in the TM-V71A? How easy is it to use? What would you recommend as the maximum number of channels per group to be scanned (the manual says you can put 100 in a group, but then I think it would take too long to finish each cycle).

I'm considering buying this radio because it meets all my other specs and has very good reviews. I need the group scan function because I travel over a large area in the summer (Western Canada and Alaska). I want to group repeaters and other nodes by region so I don't have to be scanning hundreds of channels that I know I won't hear in a particular area. I know I can program most any radio to skip channels, but I don't want to have to sit there every morning to pick through channels to skip that day.

Any experiences here are appreciated.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
I have one base and one mobile

Base is set up more for convenience, with each group having freqs fo specific use. While mobile I use the group scan
Both have 1 group for ARES, 1 for local repeaters, 1 for simplex; mobile adds several more set up geographically for the areas I normally travel outside my local area. Works well, but is difficult to confirm active freqs without knowing someone in the area. ( Pulling from a repeater book gets me more freqs than I want or need)
I try to use the minimum number of freqs needed for that area..
I think my max count is 30 or so for the local ARES band plan. Some freqs are dupes due to different ctcss for different sites.

Also, as most repeaters don't pass the ctcss tone, I find I'm sometimes I listening to cochannel repeaters that I can't access 'cause the tones don't match.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The groups can have upto 100 items programmed, with all the standard parts stored. The radio will then scan however many are stored in that group, that are not locked out. That allows you to have the items sorted into the different groups, by whatever criteria you wish to apply.

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.