Kenwood: TMD710GA not displaying APRS incoming messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8EAF

My new Kenwood TMD710GA is transmitting the APRS message but will not display a reply message. Do I have a wrong setting somewhere?

Ed / K8EAF

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Are you sure that you are receiving a reply?

Looks like you have been sending messages from K8EAF-9, your mobile (RF) station, to K8EAF-10, your home (Internet) station, and K8EAF-10 replies. If I'm interpreting correctly what I'm seeing, the replies from K8EAF-10 get injected into the APRS-IS (Internet) data stream. In order for you to receive them, there has to be an APRS I-gate in your area that is set up as a 2-way I-gate. Not all I-gates are 2-way and that really hampers the ability to send and receive messages over APRS.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Please note that even if a 2-Way iGate is in your area, it may have a limited TX coverage area for whatever reason, such as limited power, poor antenna, bad coax, etc. Thus, your packet may be heard fine by the 2-Way or even a receive only iGate. When the reply is sent, the 2-Way iGate may be the issue, if one is in your area.

K8EAF

Robert,

Your explanation somewhat makes sense and was never explained to me this way. I was attempting to send a message to enroll WLNK-1 for Winlink use. So from my location I couldn't reply to Winlink's message with no 2-way I-gate near me. I was able to send a SMSGTE.

All these years of using APRS I either neglected and/or did not fully educated myself about the 2-way I-gate. I truly appreciate your response to my question. I just thought it was an error on my part in setting up the radio.

tnx 73
Ed / K8EAF

K8EAF

Please note that even if a 2-Way iGate is in your area, it may have a limited TX coverage area for whatever reason, such as limited power, poor antenna, bad coax, etc. Thus, your packet may be heard fine by the 2-Way or even a receive only iGate. When the reply is sent, the 2-Way iGate may be the issue, if one is in your area.

Thank you, for your advice.
Ed / K8EAF

Status
Not open for further replies.