TN ANG Mil-Air Knoxville (TYS) HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkbodden

Ok, after finally figuring out how to program my RS Pro-106 (with help from some amazing RR members), here's my latest issue. I live about 1/2 mile from the ANG base at Knoxville's Magee-Tyson (TYS) airport. I've programmed about 50 of what appear to be the "right" freqs (i.e. CP Soda control, ANG Ops, TYS mil-tower, ground control, etc.), I have also programmed the "regular" TYS ground, tower & clearance/delivery freqs and receive them fine. This morning, I watched a couple of military refuellers take off and one that practiced about 30 touch & go's for a couple of hours. I also have the observation helos hover above and around my house often, but no mil-air traffic on the radio. Which leads to a couple of questions. I read one posting that stated in order to monitor mil-air, your radio MUST have USB and LSB capability. Does my Pro-106? Also, one posting stated a few mil-air freqs have switched to digital? Since I have so much local mil-air activity, can someone simply suggest a search range to try and maybe I can hear some mil-air something, or do I need to get a different radio? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Jeff, I cannot fully address all of your questions but I can tell you that MILAIR on UHF (225MHZ -380MHZ) and VHF (118MHZ-137MHZ and 138MHZ-142MHZ) is mostly AM, not USB or LSB (Upper Sideband or Lower Sideband) Those modes are mostly reserved for High Frequency (think shortwave). I am almost certain the 106 has AM mode for these ranges but others with that scanner will have to jump in. Being that you are almost on top of the airport, you should certainly be able to hear the tower from your location. Make sure that your frequencies are set to AM and try again.
There will be some exceptions to the rule. I have found that Helos also have FM for communications on 47.00 or there about. They may be using that but again, someone local to you may know better. Check and make sure the original freqs you added are set to AM.

jkbodden

Thanks...I'll give those search limits a try. My Pro-106 has an "automatic" setting for AM or FM. That being said, would you recommend I leave it in auto mode or over-ride it and search in AM only?
Cheers,
Jeff

nodak1crdet3

241.000 AM mode is a good Air 2 Air or Ops freq for Army Guard copters.

This is from http://www.airnav.com

Airport Communications
UNICOM: 122.95
ATIS: 128.35
WX ASOS: PHONE 865-981-4053
KNOXVILLE GROUND: 121.9 348.6
KNOXVILLE TOWER: 121.2 257.8
KNOXVILLE APPROACH: 118.0(051-229) 123.9(230-050) 353.6(230-050) 360.8(051-229) 125.525
KNOXVILLE DEPARTURE: 118.0(051-229) 123.9(230-050) 353.6(230-050) 360.8(051-229) 125.525
CLEARANCE DELIVERY: 121.65
ANG OPNS: 303.25 SODA CAN CON
ANG OPS: 143.8
CLASS C: 118.0(051-229) 353.6(230-050)
CLASS C IC: 123.9(230-050) 360.8(051-229)
EMERG: 121.5 243.0
NG OPS: 149.8 373.9 41.5FM
WX AWOS-3 at DKX (11 nm NE): 125.375 (865-579-6151)

Good luck on finding more freqs for your area.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
41.5 (fm mode) is a good freq for TN ARNG helicopters. They use this out of Smyrna all the time. Also definitely plug in the Ktown atc frequencies Nodak provided as Knoxville is what I call a milair hotspot. Not just the tankers out of KTYS but also mil transits use TYS a lot. Makes me jealous. From trainers to fighters a week won't go by without something good going into there.

Also plug in 240.35 (primary) and 343.25 (secondary) for AR633A/B a refueling anchor that covers East Tn. Have fun.

ind224

Here in Indiana I recently confirmed 139.750 to be both AM and FM.
AM is the favored mode in most cases. If you are serious about Mil air I'd suggest a Uniden 780XLT or RS 2045. What you hear will be night and day compared to a 106.
The 2045 has a much easier way to scan for unknowns and takes only a couple buttons to scan up or down in a range from a programmed freq and change modes on the fly.
Shopping around should let you bag one of these two for less than $100
The ground ops are more likely to be P25 and seaching for those the 106 is the choice. Good luck!!

tbenedict

41.5 is right for the choppers, but I only pick it up at close range. I pick up the refueling frequencies fairly well with my handhelds. I'm about 10 miles from TYS.

smithbc

Ok, after finally figuring out how to program my RS Pro-106 (with help from some amazing RR members), here's my latest issue. I live about 1/2 mile from the ANG base at Knoxville's Magee-Tyson (TYS) airport. I've programmed about 50 of what appear to be the "right" freqs (i.e. CP Soda control, ANG Ops, TYS mil-tower, ground control, etc.), I have also programmed the "regular" TYS ground, tower & clearance/delivery freqs and receive them fine. This morning, I watched a couple of military refuellers take off and one that practiced about 30 touch & go's for a couple of hours. I also have the observation helos hover above and around my house often, but no mil-air traffic on the radio. Which leads to a couple of questions. I read one posting that stated in order to monitor mil-air, your radio MUST have USB and LSB capability. Does my Pro-106? Also, one posting stated a few mil-air freqs have switched to digital? Since I have so much local mil-air activity, can someone simply suggest a search range to try and maybe I can hear some mil-air something, or do I need to get a different radio? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Good to talk to you again. The observation helos you are seeing are more than likely OH-58 Kiowa's from the 278th unit. Try searching between 30-88MHz for training, air to air, and air to ground coordination with convoys/tactical air control/ground units (both can be heard in AM or FM, you will be able to tell what mode they are in as soon as you hear them, if it is garbled, toggle between the 2 modes till it seems clear.. This is the freq range for SINCGARS (Single Channel Ground/Airborne Radio System). As others have stated, and as we discussed in a previous message, most all your mil-air traffic is going to be here: (30-88MHz AM or FM, 118-136MHz AM, 138-144MHz AM or FM, 148-150.6MHz FM, 225-400MHz AM). With you being so close to the tower there, you should be able to hear everything crystal clear. When I lived there, I was able to park at the approach end of Runway 23R (departure end of 05L), right between the approach lights and had a great time monitoring. A lot of times, the Army Guard guys will conduct freq-hopping on the SINCGARS so those are some times hit and miss. To help you in your monitoring endeavors, and to compliment your hobby, consider picking up/ordering an Atlanta Sectional Chart. The Atlanta Sectional covers TYS and East Tennessee and has a lot of useful intel to help you understand the comms and lingo, as well as freqs for other airports surrounding the area. Be sure to check out 126.6, if it is still active (was last time I was in Ktown), this is the Common Traffic Advisory Freq (CTAF) for DKX (Downtown Island Airport) Downtown Knoxville, the Guard helos make regular stops there.

Hope this helps some, I'm out of time, gotta run. Take care.

jkbodden

Jeff, I cannot fully address all of your questions but I can tell you that MILAIR on UHF (225MHZ -380MHZ) and VHF (118MHZ-137MHZ and 138MHZ-142MHZ) is mostly AM, not USB or LSB (Upper Sideband or Lower Sideband) Those modes are mostly reserved for High Frequency (think shortwave). I am almost certain the 106 has AM mode for these ranges but others with that scanner will have to jump in. Being that you are almost on top of the airport, you should certainly be able to hear the tower from your location. Make sure that your frequencies are set to AM and try again.
There will be some exceptions to the rule. I have found that Helos also have FM for communications on 47.00 or there about. They may be using that but again, someone local to you may know better. Check and make sure the original freqs you added are set to AM.

I have no issues with receiving TX's from the tower, ground control, unicom, etc. My specific issue is I have only received one TX that I know was mil-air and I'm watching these guys practice most of the day, about 5 days a week. Apparently, they don't communicate on the "normal" ATC freqs. I've programmed most all of the freqs that I could find. I just purchased a NIB 780XLT and am waiting for it to be delivered. In the meantime, I'll look for additional freqs to program into my 106 and see if I'll get lucky. Also, one of the members suggested the ANG base freqs might be P25. If anyone knows how to find the control freqs for that, it would be great.

Again, thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Jeff

jkbodden

I have all of those freqs already programmed (with the exception of SODA CAN OPS programmed incorrectly). That in itself may make a huge difference. Below is my reply to another member.

I have no issues with receiving TX's from the tower, ground control, unicom, etc. My specific issue is I have only received one TX that I know was mil-air and I'm watching these guys practice most of the day, about 5 days a week. Apparently, they don't communicate on the "normal" ATC freqs. I've programmed most all of the freqs that I could find. I just purchased a NIB 780XLT and am waiting for it to be delivered. In the meantime, I'll look for additional freqs to program into my 106 and see if I'll get lucky. Also, one of the members suggested the ANG base freqs might be P25. If anyone knows how to find the control freqs for that, it would be great.

Jeff

Toad_77

Also, one of the members suggested the ANG base freqs might be P25. If anyone knows how to find the control freqs for that, it would be great.

Jeff

All of the LMR type comms are analog on a LTR trunk system, the details are listed under the county.

I'm in the area on business for a few weeks and have ID'd a few new talkgroups and pushed the updates.

jkbodden

Joe,
Thanks for your help. I understand you have an air show this weekend, complete with the Thunderbirds. Hopefully, I'll get my new 780 XLT in time to hear the show. Below is a reply to another RR member that replied to my original posting.

Again, thanks.

Jeff

jkbodden

I should have paid attention to your second sentence before I purchased my new 780 XLT. Oh well, it's on it's way...thanks.
Jeff

jkbodden

Bryan,
Again, you are my new hero...I just hope my lady appreciates why we are removing the "Dan Marino" embroidery from our pillow cases and replacing them with K4UXO! My new 780XLT should arrive in the next few days and I will program your search recommendations for mil-air. I did notice this evening one SNAFU...I had programmed 303.25 to 303.025...that in itself may make a huge difference. Below is a reply to one of the other RR members. I'll keep you updated if I hear anything new. Too much mil-air stuff happening in my back yard daily for me to miss it.

Again, thanks and Cheers!

Jeff

jkbodden

Issues?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
There is a good chance that the military planes you're trying to monitor are actually using UHF channels. If you're not hearing the military aircraft on the normal ATC VHF frequencies, try the UHF counterpart frequencies for the airport in question.

Typically, airports with a substantial military presence will use both VHF and UHF frequencies for tower, ground, approach, and other functions. For example, the tower frequencies might be 119.3 / 241.6 and the tower controller will be heard on both frequencies but the aircraft will be heard only on VHF or UHF... whichever way they are equipped.

Do some research to see if your airport uses both VHF and UHF channels. BTW, all local ATC radio traffic, either VHF or UHF, uses AM modulation. Only long-distance aircraft channels use HF / USB.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Any ground communications for the TN ANG @ Knoxville such as maintenance security, etc is more than likely analog conventional. TN doesn't have that kind of money to go P25 for the ANG much less a trunking system for it. The LTR is for the actual airport only. TN is always behind times on most everything :)

In Nashville the 118th uses ground frequencies in the 165.xxxx and 173.xxxx range. All analog. Which isn't a bad thing! Everywhere lately the craze after going P25 is encryption which is total BS.

Toad_77

The LTR is most definitely the guard base, I've been listening to it for the past few weeks. The 138-141 frequency range alone should tell you that (NTIA Vs. FCC controlled spectrum). Listening to the traffic, call signs & protocols are clearly military. Not to mention that the traffic the first full weekend of the month (guard weekend) was many times the normal daily traffic, dropped back to normal levels starting Sunday evening and has stayed the same since.

Status
Not open for further replies.