TNHP Low Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
All low band equipment is long gone. Primary comms are on TACN, with VTNMA, UTNMA,8TNMA , the nationwide 700/800 Call/Tacs, etc. Just also for reference... In MS, LA, AR, also, State Agencies have all dropped VHF Low Band with extremely few exceptions.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Are they keeping the VHF Hi frequencies for backup? See they are still licensed and on occasion here a key up albeit most is skip.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
According to RR member KABNI on October 27, 2017 at the above referenced link:

"The high band repeaters are still in place and are still being used as backups to the TRS though you may not hear much traffic on them."

If agencies don't keep some sort of active backup, they are going to be in a world of hurt when the big gee whiz mega system fails. It will eventually, likely during a period of heavy use during a catastrophe. I am made to think that THP, at least, is aware of this probability.

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
They may exist in that they are still installed in some of the older vehicles, but all troppers are now carrying I think the APX 7 or 8000 handhelds. No need for a vehicle repeater anymore.

jpryor

THP units in middle Tennessee at least, have their 800 MHz digital vehicle repeater systems active on 855.4625 MHz NAC 293. That was an old MDT frequency. If you are close enough to a THP unit that has the vehicle repeater enabled, you'll hear the activity. I have a nearby neighbor who is a trooper, so I generally log some activity daily from my home location.

Best to keep some VHF in, the Downtown Nashville Capitol repeater still chimes up every now and then. The VHF simplex/Car to Car with occasional activity (training, some times have heard an interop patch for aviation units).

Status
Not open for further replies.