TO ADMINS: RE NYPD Pct 1-13 CW 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

one11sgt

NYPD Manhattan Precincts 1-23 and Citywide 1-3
NYPD Manhattan Precincts 1-23 and Citywide 1-3 Live Scanner Audio Feed

I would really urge the Admins to order the feed provider to remove CW 1 and 2 from his feed.
Those frequencies violate the TOS as stated by blantonl:

"Feed providers agree to ONLY broadcast routine dispatch and special events channels and talkgroups for law enforcement agencies.
What does that mean? It means, that feeds are not allowed to have tactical, tac, car-to-car, NCIC, records, detectives, swat, SRT, supervisors, or any other channels or talkgroups on their feeds.
Routine dispatch and special events channels and talkgroups ONLY."

NYPD Citywide 1 and 2 frequencies do not provide routine dispatch. They are used for records checks with personal information of civilians.
Currently they are also being used as tactical communication for the "occupy wall street" protests. There are no units that are dispatched by CW 1 or 2 to respond to 911 calls.

This is a violation of the TOS and nothing good can come from broadcasting these feeds.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Thanks for passing this along, we'll take care of it. In the future, it would be better to personally let us know instead of posting in the forums.

Thanks!!

one11sgt

Thanks for passing this along, we'll take care of it. In the future, it would be better to personally let us know instead of posting in the forums.

Thanks!!

Ok thanks. Will do. Sorry, i did not know who to personally contact.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We are evaluating this one internally.

I wholeheartedly agree that personal information dedicated channels should not be included, however if we have a citywide channel dedicated to the management of the protests, and it has a dedicated dispatcher, then we can reasonably view this as special events communications which would be OK to broadcast.

We are initiating contact with the feed dispatcher now for clarification. However, can you advise what CW1, CW2 and CW3 are dedicated for?

one11sgt

CW 1 and 2 are used for records checks. CW 3 (which is not an issue to me) is used by traffic control officers.
CW 1 and 2 have dispatchers to provide those checks, but those dispatchers do not participate in communications regarding OWS or any special event. Those communications are between officers in the street directly to each other and do not go through a dispatcher. In my opinion, that makes it a tactical channel. The only time a dispatcher is heard, is if a record check request is made, or if there is an emergency transmission which is made across all NYPD frequencies. My synopsis for you Lindsay:
1. 911 calls are not dispatched to units on CW 1 or 2.
2. Record checks are transmitted on CW 1 and 2
3. Records checks consist of civilian names and birthdays and also the location of that person, the vast majority of whom have no criminal record
4. Operations communication is conducted between personnel in the street directly on CW 1 and 2
5. A dispatcher does not coordinate or participate in operations communication on CW 1 or 2
6. The CW 1 and 2 dispatchers are not dedicated as they each monitor at least 2 other NYPD channels ie: occb1, occb2, det1, det2, spin, cw 4, special projects, and intell, for the purpose of having someone to answer if an officer calls for help on the wrong channel.

Broadcasting CW 1 and 2 violate the TOS in my opinion.

Last edited:

one11sgt

Thank you very much for your quick attention. It is much appreciated. I would also suggest the feed title be modified to reflect the change. Again thank you.

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just curious, but which channels are NYPD operating on for primary operations related to the protests? The standard downtown zones or other?

If NYPD officers on the ground are moving to the CW channels for tactical comms then I agree that we don't broadcast those communications.

I'd like to get a better understanding on how the NYPD is communicating with regards to this event.

Thanks,

emcomm

ALSO, In the case of the OWS movement, when a tactical situation occurs, as did last night, CW2 became the PRIMARY channel of the men on the ground. In the day time today, they switched to CW1.

Because of the scanner feeds, the NYPD Police Commissioner's cell phone was distributed over Twitter as was the Command Center phone number. When the police called for bolt cutters, the OWS people warned others the NYPD was coming, etc. The OWS people named "radioreference" as their source for "#policescanner" information. BTW, tonight at 2200 EST they expect a flair up / conflict as the park may be cleared again.

best regards from The Big Apple

jaymatt1978

Pardon me for sticking my nose in this and I'm n ot asking Lindsay to change his mind, but I'd but real curious as to Charlie,N2NOV's take on this issue

emcomm

Tactical crowd control, planning, calling for backup, recon, survellance [including helos to ground] are all operating on CW 1 & CW 2.

The running of tags and other things which are usually on these CW1 & CW2, were pushed to CW3.

The regular precincts frequencies are handling routine dispatch for regular police activity / calls.

one11sgt

Any 911 call will rb routed to the dispatcher of the precinct concerned, in this case the 1st which is NYPD Zone 1 covering the 1,5, and 7 precincts.

The officers assigned directly to the protest are on CW 1 or CW 2 depending on which is decided on a daily basis. Most transmissions on CW are between supervisors who are in charge of groups of officers. A command post coordinates the movement of these groups based on the direction of the highest ranking officer in charge. I.E: Captain Smith bring your men over to ____ , Inspector Jones I have 1 and 8 available (1 sgt 8 cops) etc.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think what we are going to do is to have the provider remove CW3 from the feed. It sounds to me like CW1 and CW2 are being used for special events type communications. I consider this protest a special events operation for the NYPD.

one11sgt

Are there dedicated dispatchers on CW1 and CW2 for this event?

No as I said, there is a dispatcher who monitors the channel for the purpose of record checks. The dispatcher is not dedicated. They monitor numerous channels at one time. You will hear the same dispatcher's voice across numerous frequencies at the same time.
The dispatcher also takes no part in the coordination or communications relating to the event. They are there to repeat communications if requested and notify EMS or FIRE if requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.