To buffer or not to ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastsidertim

New in to Ham radio by a few weeks ,i have a TS-570s ,and i have a Ameritiron 811 coming in the mail ..So from what i have been reading says this buffer relay is better for radio ..The fellow i got the radio from says i do not need it and so does the fellow i 'am getting the amp from ..Just would like a few more opinions on this,(if you have owned these two units )

Thanks KDOZBC

N8IAA

New in to Ham radio by a few weeks ,i have a TS-570s ,and i have a Ameritiron 811 coming in the mail ..So from what i have been reading says this buffer relay is better for radio ..The fellow i got the radio from says i do not need it and so does the fellow i 'am getting the amp from ..Just would like a few more opinions on this,(if you have owned these two units )

Thanks KDOZBC

As a Technician class license holder, you cannot transmit more than 200W PEP on HF. The 570S is a 100W radio. Which is more than enough power for your license. You are allowed CW privileges on 80m-10m in the appropriate portion of each of those bands. Also, 10m SSB in a small portion 28.2MHz to 28.5MHz.
You do not need to have the 811. It is not a 'buffer', it is an amplifier. So, unless you are planning on getting your General class license, the amplifier is a waste of money.

HTH,
Larry

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
As a Technician class license holder, you cannot transmit more than 200W PEP on HF. The 570S is a 100W radio. Which is more than enough power for your license. You are allowed CW privileges on 80m-10m in the appropriate portion of each of those bands. Also, 10m SSB in a small portion 28.2MHz to 28.5MHz.

You do not need to have the 811. It is not a 'buffer', it is an amplifier. So, unless you are planning on getting your General class license, the amplifier is a waste of money.

HTH,

Larry

Agreed. 100w is plenty of power. I have worked many countries with only 100w, even broke through pile ups of California kilowatts hammering each other with voice keyers coming into me at 60+S-9. Power is not the Be all end all. Proper operating skill will make you more contacts than 1.5Kw of power ever will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eastsidertim

I got my General Saturday ,and i know the difference between a buffer relay and a amp ,give me a little credit ,Larry ,Geeeeezzz...

Last edited by a moderator:

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
The need for a buffer relay or amplifier keying relay depends on the amount of voltage and current your radio can safely handle. Look at the specifications for the amplifier and see what voltage and current is required for the switching the amplifier into the transmit mode. Check your rig for the amount of voltage and current the radio can safely switch.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I just re-read your question. And yea, you will need to figure out what the radio can handle for current on the key line, and what the amp needs to be able to key.

You may even want to buffer just to be safe regardless of what've radio can handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

eastsidertim

The need for a buffer relay or amplifier keying relay depends on the amount of voltage and current your radio can safely handle. Look at the specifications for the amplifier and see what voltage and current is required for the switching the amplifier into the transmit mode. Check your rig for the amount of voltage and current the radio can safely switch.

Thank You KB0ZBC/AG

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, I've cleaned up the personal attacks and ranting from the thread.

If any of you have a problem with anything that has been posted in a thread, please use the Report Post icon (red/white triangle with an exclamation mark inside) and move on. Do not engage in further personal attacks or arguments.

Let's all try to be a little more civil in the future.

Thanks.

kj3n

The AL-811 uses 12VDC switching. There's no need for a relay buffer.

A lot of older amps like the Heathkit series (among others of the 60s and 70s) used 120VAC switching and most modern radios won't handle that kind of voltage.

I ran an AL-811 with an Icom IC-746Pro for a couple of years. Never had an issue. I replaced the 811 with an AL-80B a few years later. Never had a problem there, either.

eastsidertim

The AL-811 uses 12VDC switching. There's no need for a relay buffer.

A lot of older amps like the Heathkit series (among others of the 60s and 70s) used 120VAC switching and most modern radios won't handle that kind of voltage.

I ran an AL-811 with an Icom IC-746Pro for a couple of years. Never had an issue. I replaced the 811 with an AL-80B a few years later. Never had a problem there, either.

Thank you sir .........Just the answer plain and simple , that wasn't so hard on was it guys .....Goodday...

Status
Not open for further replies.