To Buy Or Not To Buy?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernesTbud

I am thinking about buying a new scanner but need to know a few things first.I live in the Tulsa metro area. What is the scoop on the Tulsa or state dps system going full digital; would it be safe to go with just analog of will it just go bye bye some time soon? SO the question is DIGITAL OR NON-DIGITAL

Andruw

If I were you I would get a digital scanner just so when something does go digital you will already have it covered.

OkRob

Digital is coming, but I don't think anyone (other than those in the planning of it all) knows how soon yet. I think when it does get here alot of it will be encrypted like EMSA's new system, so I'm not going to worry about that for now. I recently added a new Pro-2055 to my collection and I'm real happy with it. I understand the Pro-2096 is marked down some at some of the stores that are closing (previous posts in the RS forum refer to that) and it will do digital except for those that are encrypted. If you don't have a strong dislike for the RS brands, you may want to look into that.

- Rob

Andruw

I like RS scanners but my next scanner is going to be the Uniden 396, theres not anything digital around here, but there may be some soon so im going to be prepared.

peterjmag

Just like Rob said, I would go with the Pro-2055 or Pro-2096 if you have and want to spend a few extra dollars. Most of us feel that when agencies go digital around here that they will be encrypted hence like the ones that are currently including EMSA and TPD's special ops. We think that EMSA was a test market for what's to come. Hopefully we are wrong but it's just a hunch. So the Pro-2055 would you serve you well and is a fantastic scanner that has the loudest audio I have ever heard on a base/mobile radio! So the Pro-2055 for analog has my vote! Happy Scanning....

P.J. Maguire

West of the Muddy Creek, East of the Big Hill.
peterjmag said:
Just like Rob said, I would go with the Pro-2055 or Pro-2096 if you have and want to spend a few extra dollars. Most of us feel that when agencies go digital around here that they will be encrypted hence like the ones that are currently including EMSA and TPD's special ops. We think that EMSA was a test market for what's to come. Hopefully we are wrong but it's just a hunch. So the Pro-2055 would you serve you well and is a fantastic scanner that has the loudest audio I have ever heard on a base/mobile radio! So the Pro-2055 for analog has my vote! Happy Scanning....

P.J. Maguire

Since 2004, there has been a lot digital and encrypted talkgroups being used on the Tulsa
TRS. It seems to be a testing and proving ground for things to come. Each day EMSA and TPD's Special Ops is building a sturdy foundation for other agencies to building onto.

ernesTbud

well I went and did some reading on the 996t that one sounds like bout everything that I am looking for too bad that it just started shipping and haven,t heard any results on it yet going to have to save up for that one

WhiskyLima

So I've been toying with the idea of buying a trunking scanner. I live in Tulsa Metro. There is a web page I googled up where a person can listen for free. Granted, I can't throw my computer in my car and drive around town hooked to the internet, but aside from mobility, what am I getting for my money if I throw down on a scanner radio? Is the reception, tracking, etc. going to be as good or better than what I'm getting on the web?

Also, Radio Shack has the PRO-97 on sale for $150 thru JUN17. Is it cheap because it doesn't work so well here or because it's going to have a short shelf-life given (1) conversion to digital and (2) rebanding of cell freq's between 800-900mhz. Or is it a really sweet deal that I'm just too pessimistic to recognize? How does it rate against the Pro-2055?

I'm sort of thinking that spending extra money (more than 2x the cost of non-digital) to get a digital scanner is very much throwing money down a hole if digital = encrypted. Sort of like owning a Betamax: best techology, but nothing to watch.

Freebie link is below FWIW. Only works in IE. Can't make it work with Firefox.

http://krmg.com/features/tpdfdpscanner02.html

KK5FM

WhiskyLima said:
So I've been toying with the idea of buying a trunking scanner. I live in Tulsa Metro. There is a web page I googled up where a person can listen for free. Granted, I can't throw my computer in my car and drive around town hooked to the internet, but aside from mobility, what am I getting for my money if I throw down on a scanner radio? Is the reception, tracking, etc. going to be as good or better than what I'm getting on the web?

You would have limited or no control over what the scanner on the web is actually listening to. Say, you hear something very interesting, but because there isn't someone to put it into "hold" or "manual," it keeps scanning, and stops on two guys talking about a lunch break. Meanwhile, the interesting stuff is happening on another channel that you can't get back to. Having the scanner in your control makes for a more enjoyable scanning experience, IMHO.
And this deal about not being able to put a computer in your car and drive around town hooked to the internet - have you not had a chance to see almost any television storm chase vehicle recently? :)

WhiskyLima

I see your point about scanner control. I've never had a chance to play with a scanner, so I didn't know what I was missing.

I'd like to think that if I plunk down the extra cash for digital capability, I'm going to get some use out of it. Pro-2055 sounds like a good candidate for me. But what with the Pro-97 at firesale prices, I am tempted to stray to that model to save a few bucks. Not sure what I would be missing out on.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
WhiskyLima said:
I see your point about scanner control. I've never had a chance to play with a scanner, so I didn't know what I was missing.

I'd like to think that if I plunk down the extra cash for digital capability, I'm going to get some use out of it. Pro-2055 sounds like a good candidate for me. But what with the Pro-97 at firesale prices, I am tempted to stray to that model to save a few bucks. Not sure what I would be missing out on.
You have Private Message

Status
Not open for further replies.