To preamp, or not to preamp...

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
DUDE!!! Can you PLEASE tell me how you did that line-of-sight projected line from antenna to transmitter like that?
I really need that with finding any obstructions for my site and distant receiver.

I have the line projected on Google Earth, and the relative heights, but how do I get the straight line through?
If you go to Tools→Ruler→Path and check Show Elevation Profile, then draw your path, you will get a window that shows you the ground elevation along it. If you move the mouse in that window, a tooltip shows the elevation and it will move an arrow along the path to show you the position for that elevation. I think the image is created by playing with the pan/tilt/zoom.

prcguy

That preamp at my house on a wide band antenna like a Discone will ruin reception. It has too much gain and notice they don't publish the IP1 or IP3 specs? That's because they are not very good and this preamp will easily overload and create lots of IMD unless you put band pass filters and FM trap filters in front of it. If you live way out in the sticks where there isn't any high power TV, FM, cellphone, etc, it might work out.

Putting your antenna outside is a good idea.
You may want to take a look at this preramp

I use it and it works well for my needs .