To upgrade from 396t to 396xt or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CATCHMEIFUCAN

Premium Subscriber
I now have the 396t sence 5 or six years with very little trouble only that it will not work (powerup) or charge from the cord anymore tryed replasement cords but still nothing... just getting tired of charging batteries all the time so im thinking on upgrading to the xt so does anyone have any suggestions on doing this.are there any flaws in the xt ,the recption,signal strenth ect ... does the keypad light up like in the t any info would be great thanks.

blutarsky

might be good to review another thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/228798-396xt-decode-errors.html

the big take-away from that is that if you monitor a simulcast system, expect issues. the other take-away is that uniden doesn't care that customers are having problems.

if you don't have to worry about that, then it's a fine scanner. but at this point in the lifespan of the device, it might be good to just get a few sets of rechargeables and a good external charger and deal with your existing one until a new model comes out.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
might be good to review another thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/228798-396xt-decode-errors.html

the big take-away from that is that if you monitor a simulcast system, expect issues. the other take-away is that uniden doesn't care that customers are having problems.

if you don't have to worry about that, then it's a fine scanner. but at this point in the lifespan of the device, it might be good to just get a few sets of rechargeables and a good external charger and deal with your existing one until a new model comes out.

A few corrections:
1) Just because you monitor a trunked simulcast system does not mean that you
should automatically "expect issues". Some systems have Simulcast Distortion issues, and some don't. Saying one should "expect issues" from all simulcast systems is wrong.
And folks don't know what Uniden is working on behind the scenes.
2) Uniden does care about it's customers. Otherwise UPMan would not be on RR.com day in and day out with over 5,000 posts answering questions over and over again and providing assistance over and over again. He also responds on Yahoo Groups and on Uniden's own website.

My advice to the original poster: If the 396XT has the features you want, then pick one up. My 396XT goes with me everywhere (along with my HomePatrol).
Marshall KE4ZNR

Highpockets

A few corrections:
1) Just because you monitor a trunked simulcast system does not mean that you
should automatically "expect issues". Some systems have Simulcast Distortion issues, and some don't. Saying one should "expect issues" from all simulcast systems is wrong.
And folks don't know what Uniden is working on behind the scenes.
2) Uniden does care about it's customers. Otherwise UPMan would not be on RR.com day in and day out with over 5,000 posts answering questions over and over again and providing assistance over and over again. He also responds on Yahoo Groups and on Uniden's own website.

My advice to the original poster: If the 396XT has the features you want, then pick one up. My 396XT goes with me everywhere (along with my HomePatrol).
Marshall KE4ZNR

I promised myself I would never respond to any of your posts again, but I have to post on this one (even though I hate to do it). UPMan does have over 5,000 posts answering questions and providing assistance, but, Nothing involving ugrades, updates, fixes or solutions for the problems concerning the XT models. Period!

I'll go back to not responding again.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I promised myself I would never respond to any of your posts again, but I have to post on this one (even though I hate to do it). UPMan does have over 5,000 posts answering questions and providing assistance, but, Nothing involving ugrades, updates, fixes or solutions for the problems concerning the XT models. Period!

Hmmmm.....

Firmware update by you. We're working on a new version of the updater that makes the process a bit easier (for this and future updates on other models, too, like BCD396XT, etc).

Read into that what you will....
Marshall KE4ZNR

Highpockets

I now have the 396t sence 5 or six years with very little trouble only that it will not work (powerup) or charge from the cord anymore tryed replasement cords but still nothing... just getting tired of charging batteries all the time so im thinking on upgrading to the xt so does anyone have any suggestions on doing this.are there any flaws in the xt ,the recption,signal strenth ect ... does the keypad light up like in the t any info would be great thanks.

I would say to you, look at what the XT model offers, and if it meets what you want in a scanner, go for it. I have the 396XT and 996XT and I like them both. I purchased the XT models for the encryption mute and they do that well, do they have flaws, yes as does my PSR600.

There are pros and cons with all the scanners on the market, I would do some more reading and go with what you think will work for you!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I would say to you, look at what the XT model offers, and if it meets what you want in a scanner, go for it. I have the 396XT and 996XT and I like them both. I purchased the XT models for the encryption mute and they do that well, do they have flaws, yes as does my PSR600.

There are pros and cons with all the scanners on the market, I would do some more reading and go with what you think will work for you!

The Gentleman above brings up great points.
Follow Highpockets advice above and you won't go wrong. :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Like a few others members have said if you are monitoring multisite systems the XT brand is helpful.

I had a 396T that I used and loved for a long time. I was able to monitor multi-site systems by simply enabling and disabling system keys ie; a tower per system key.

Some say that having an Xt and its multisite abilities sometimes make it easy to lose a transmission as it moves from one tower to another.

I am not sure but unless I heard wrong the PSR800 GRE scanner does not do multi-site.

kbehning

Premium Subscriber
Regarding Multi Site capability.

Maybe I don't understand it completely. I just thought that multi-site was a memory storage technique to associate various trunked towers to a common talkgroup definitions, so that for a 6 site system, you don't have to have 6 copies of the same talkgroup info.

Is there more to it than that that I am missiong?

---

To the original poster, you likely have a broken solder connection in the power jack on your scanner. Happens after extended use. You can consider using Uniden's $49 repair program where they'll fix whatever ails your radio for the flat rate plus shipping. Several people have been pleased with this route. Of course, you can get a new 396XT AND get your 396T fixed as well so you can spread the radio load across 2 scanners so you miss less, or whatever.

Thanks,
Kimball

scanningisfun

He does now. ;)

Jacob

Last edited:

scanningisfun

That was not responding to his posts, there is a reason for that, and Marshall and myself know why. And I'm sure we both agree, it's better that way.

As for your post, you didn't answer the question. :confused:

I was adding on to your post so that the person in need of advice would know that simulcast might not be as much of an issue. Thats only if that is what the update is targeting.

Jacob

GTO_04

What I have found upgrading to the XT:

1. Better sensitivity

2. No motorboating on Motorola analog/digital 800 Type II systems.

3. Better audio.

The upgrade would be very much worth it IMHO.

GTO_04

Status
Not open for further replies.