Toledo Life Flight " Air Med 1 "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg43545

I was monitoring the Henry County Ohio Sheriff, Fire, and EMS traffic this evening and there was a motorcycle accident which required transportation of the victim by the Toledo Life Flight Helicopter.

I also have all the frequencies for Toledo Life Flight programmed in as well so I expected to hear the conversation between the helicopter and Henry County Fire/EMS ground personnel, but when the Henry County Sheriff Dispatcher advised the Fire/EMS personnel that Life Flight was en-route she advised them to contact the helicopter via " Air Med 1 ". I was unable to pick up any of that traffic, so I researched Radio Reference and my SDS200 Sentinel Software for an " Air Med 1 " frequency and was unable to locate said frequency.

Has anyone ever heard of an " Air Med 1 " frequency, and if so do you know what it is, or where I can find it, to program it into my favorite lists?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I was monitoring the Henry County Ohio Sheriff, Fire, and EMS traffic this evening and there was a motorcycle accident which required transportation of the victim by the Toledo Life Flight Helicopter.

I also have all the frequencies for Toledo Life Flight programmed in as well so I expected to hear the conversation between the helicopter and Henry County Fire/EMS ground personnel, but when the Henry County Sheriff Dispatcher advised the Fire/EMS personnel that Life Flight was en-route she advised them to contact the helicopter via " Air Med 1 ". I was unable to pick up any of that traffic, so I researched Radio Reference and my SDS200 Sentinel Software for an " Air Med 1 " frequency and was unable to locate said frequency.

Has anyone ever heard of an " Air Med 1 " frequency, and if so do you know what it is, or where I can find it, to program it into my favorite lists?

It's probably 8TAC92D. It officially stopped being called "Airmed 1" statewide several years ago, but some agencies still call it the old name.

Greg43545

OK thanks, I'll check it out.

Is that 800 mhz, and if so, do you know the frequency for it?

RakkFO

Premium Subscriber
Henry Co has a NORPS site, you may want to monitor the Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System as well. I am quite confident NORPS has an AIRMED1 talkgroup on that system

firenresq77

Most people on the NORPS system in Lucas and Wood counties will not use the AIRMED channels because the dispatchers are unable to monitor since it's line of sight

RakkFO

Premium Subscriber
Most people on the NORPS system in Lucas and Wood counties will not use the AIRMED channels because the dispatchers are unable to monitor since it's line of sight

While I am not sure what AIRMED you are referencing, the comment leads me to believe it is a simplex talkpath. That leads me to believe that we are not talking about the same thing. I would not have suggested monitoring a trunked radio system site if I were referencing a simplex conventional option. The AIRMED1 I am referencing is on the NORPS system and it is a repeated talkgroup. Just because it is not in the database does not mean it does not exist. If you look at the NORPS Master Radio Template Wiki page (Lucas County (OH) Public Safety Radio Template - The RadioReference Wiki) Zone 35 is listed as Lucas Co Med and references "Air Med 1" so we have supporting evidence it is at least an option on the system.

Like @wa8pyr suggested AIRMED1 is no longer the official name in the NIFOG but is still used as a regional term. If it is not AIRMED1 on NORPS they were referencing, then I agree that 8TAC92D would be the next best option. This is supported by the SIEC's SOP on Ohio Aviation Communications and Ohio MARCS Policy MPP 15.1.( links below)

west-pac

Mostly likely AIRMED 1 in Zone 35 on the radio template is the same as 8TAC92D.

Years ago, the county I was in renamed an official TRS TG as "Sam 800" in their county-wide radio template for fire fighters. The thinking was "Sam 800" would be easier for fire fighters to find in their radios and understand what it was used for, instead of its official name "C-MA 2". To me, I felt it was just a way to create confusion when fire fighters from different counties talked to each other about what channel they landed the Samaritan medical helicopter on; and to those listening at home on scanners they never could find a TG listed as "Sam 800", that was mentioned everytime a medical helicopter was needed in the county.

My point being, "AIRMED 1" may or may not be an official channel name listed anywhere. AIRMED 1 may be a local name for 154.280Mhz, or 155.160Mhz, or some other frequency.

ctpd845

Feed Provider
AIR MED 1 is indeed the same as 8TAC92D on NWOPSRS. AIR MED 2 is the same as 8TAC94D. It probably has not been changed because there are still a few of the original radios on the system that have not been reprogrammed since the system was first put into service.PXL_20200929_010735060.jpg

Last edited:

RakkFO

Premium Subscriber
AIR MED 1 is indeed the same as 8TAC92D on NWOPSRS. AIR MED 2 is the same as 8TAC94D. It probably has not been changed because there are still a few of the original radios on the system that have not been reprogrammed since the system was first put into service.

Thank you for confirming!

Status
Not open for further replies.