Tone Outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
I'm using the BCD436HP and I'm trying to get the call-out tones for the local Fire Dept ...
They are using a DMR system ...
I have followed the search feature for the tones ...
So far I have found that nothing comes through on the "A" side ...
However I keep getting a squelch notification on the "B" side ...
My problem is nothing follows the squelch ...
But for every squelch there are different "B" tones ...
What does this mean?
Is it individual portables keying their mic's?
Still no evening pager test sent yet ...
Suggestions???

ltginrage

I found that using Audacity's analyze sequence feature was far more accurate than the tone search on a uniden scanner.

ltginrage

Audacity is a free and open-source digital audio editor and recording application software, available for Windows, macOS, Linux, and other Unix-like operating systems. Click here to get to the audacity website. What I do is download a archive off of a broadcastify feed and open it in audactity and from there you highlight the section of the audio track that is the tone and then under "Analyze" at the top left corner click on "Plot Spectrum" and move your mouse to the highest point on the graph and the number in the box that says peak is the tone number

Eng74

I don’t think the fire tone out will work on a DMR system. Are they on a single frequency system or multiple?

ltginrage

It would work on a both a single frequency or multiple if there is a recording or broadcasting recording of the tones

Eng74

When using fire tone out you can only program one frequency for the radio to monitor. It will not work on a trunked system.

a417

U+0000
It would work on a both a single frequency or multiple if there is a recording or broadcasting recording of the tones
This has been proven many times over that it is possible, yet incredibly unreliable and highly variable to system settings.

In theory you can do it, we tried over an LTR (which is analog trunked, no vocoders in play) system 15 years ago and ultimately got about 40% reliability on average. If 40% is ok for you, or anyone, then I would like you to reevaluate your priorities when it comes to mission critical alerting.

It can be done, but the risk is not worth the effort, and it is not as cut and dry as you think about "broadcasting recording of tones" over a talkgroup.

tl;dr.

you absolutely can, but you absolutely shouldn't.

Last edited:

Yocuz

Premium Subscriber
I have a question regarding tones and want to double check my thinking on the topic before I delve into it further. My local county fire dispatch (Gloucester County NJ) utilizes a 700mhz Phase II system. I was hoping that setting tone outs would allow me to bypass the dispatch talk group EMS calls (Tones) and one monitor fire department calls from around the county. EMS and Fire are dispatched from the same talk group. From reading the different SDS100 information online it sounds as though this could work but I have not seen an concrete evidence of it be doable.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I found that using Audacity's analyze sequence feature was far more accurate than the tone search on a uniden scanner.

That is good to know.

Audacity is software that analyzes tones.

Here's the download for windows.

TwoToneDetect will also analyze the tones.

It's FREE

Those are good links. Thank yo for sharing those URLs.

ltginrage

I have a question regarding tones and want to double check my thinking on the topic before I delve into it further. My local county fire dispatch (Gloucester County NJ) utilizes a 700mhz Phase II system. I was hoping that setting tone outs would allow me to bypass the dispatch talk group EMS calls (Tones) and one monitor fire department calls from around the county. EMS and Fire are dispatched from the same talk group. From reading the different SDS100 information online it sounds as though this could work but I have not seen an concrete evidence of it be doable.
So your trying to use the tone out feature using a P25 system?

Status
Not open for further replies.