Tone problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceMan

Hey everyone

A few weeks ago I bought a 246t and its been working great. 2 days ago I put an antenna off a Motorola Radius GM300 and hooked it to my scanner so I could get better reception when driving...

The problem that I get now is I seem to be getting different OPP repeter towers and when I put in the ctcss that my scanner shows (107.2) i'm still getting the constant "beeps" but for the tower thats in town behind the police station when I put the 107.2 in the "beeping" stops.

Is the ctcss related to the constant beeping that comes from these towers?

Does anyone have and ideas on how to solve this?

also i'm in northwestern ontario where the OPP are still on conventional radio systems...

Last edited:

Al42

SpaceMan said:
The problem that I get now is I seem to be getting different OPP repeter towers and when I put in the ctcss that my scanner shows (107.2) i'm still getting the constant "beeps" but for the tower thats in town behind the police station when I put the 107.2 in the "beeping" stops.
When you put in the CTCSS you're a) "still getting the constant 'beeps'" or b) "the 'beeping' stops"? I'm confused.

Is the ctcss related to the constant beeping that comes from these towers?
It doesn't cause the beeping, if that's what you mean, but it can eliminate it, if the beeping is coming from a transmitter that isn't transmitting the 107.2 tone.

SpaceMan

when I put in the CTCSS the "beeping" will stop for the tower that is located behind the police station in town. But if I put it in for the CTCSS (that the scanner shows) from the new towers that were picked up the "beeping" will not stop.

The other thing that I had tried yesterday was putting in any random number for the CTCSS and when I did this the channel was silent...I did this with about 5 different ones and all the same result.

SpaceMan

i've attached a zip file of the sound that i'm hearing

Attachments

• System-2-------C_Found-Channels_141.7250MHz_11-19-37-AM_11-20-00-AM_05-31-2006.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 59

MetalCarnage

i think i know what you are talking about, the old OPP NOR system does that, its a constant beep beep beep over and over again....i live in Thunder Bay half the year so i know what u are talking about as i had that prob with my 250D...if no one else figures out a solution before i get home from work i will take a look at my files and see what i did to fix it....i believe i ended up having to change the squelch to "Tone Squelch" instead of the regular squelch, if i remember this allowed the scanner to skip the tone, but pick up the transmissions

Al42

Sounds like some kind of digital data. It's a real signal, not something the scanner is doing.

When you put in a CTCSS tone, and the transmitter isn't transmitting that tone, you don't hear the data, because the squelch doesn't open. When you put in the tone for the transmitter transmitting that data, you hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.