Tone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectlyfailing

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
I'm very new to the scanner scene. My question is about Tone. I have a very old scanner I picked up for cheap, it doesn't have a tone dial at all. One of the frequencies i'm trying to pick up is
Frequency 155.5500 Tone 123.0

Is there any way to pick this up on a Realistic Pro 41 scanner or do I need a scanner that has a tone knob?
Thank you

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not a 'tone knob' but the ability to program a PL Tone, which is what you are referring to here. In the old days, this was done with a few more keystrokes. The newer scanners can do this both with keystrokes and using an application that interfaces with a PC.

I'm unsure if the Pro-41 has this capability, but many of the current generation of scanners do.

73 (best regards) Mike

fineshot1

Hi,
I'm very new to the scanner scene. My question is about Tone. I have a very old scanner I picked up for cheap, it doesn't have a tone dial at all. One of the frequencies i'm trying to pick up is

Is there any way to pick this up on a Realistic Pro 41 scanner or do I need a scanner that has a tone knob?
Thank you

To add to Mikes post above just program the frequency and never mind about the tone,
it is not necessary to receive the agency in question.

jackj

Tone-coded squelch

Hi,

Thank you

As other have said, just program in the frequency and you should hear the station. What you are referring to is called a sub-audible tone-coded squelch. The receiver stays squelched until it hears a carrier modulated with that tone, then it opens and you can hear the traffic. Your receiver doesn't have the circuit needed to take advantage of this feature so you will hear all traffic on that frequency. The tone isn't really sub-audible, you will probably hear a low pitched hum in the background when you receive that station.

Status
Not open for further replies.