Tone Vs. Tone Squelch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone I'm very green to the radio hobby and I'm still studying but I'm stuck on when or what the difference is for tone vs. tone squelch and when would I set one up for tone squelch or for the tone.

If someone could please help me and clear this up for me that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Truckingscanner

Last edited:

KC0QNB

For receive only you don't even need a tone of any kind, just listen, if there is other traffic on the frequency that you don't want to hear then use the tone squelch if you program a tone of 156.7 for example and enable the tone squelch you will ONLY hear transmissions with that tone on that frequency.
go here and read all about it after you understand the system then decide if you need a tone

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone I'm very green to the radio hobby and I'm still studying but I'm stuck on when or what the difference is for tone vs. tone squelch and when would I set one up for tone squelch or for the tone.

If someone could please help me and clear this up for me that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Truckingscanner

Sounds like you are referring to a ham transceiver as opposed to a scanner. In the case of my Yaesu ham radios, "tone" is used when you want to transmit a CTCSS tone in order to access a repeater. "Tone squelch" is used to transmit a CTCSS tone, as well as have the tone also used on the receive (repeater output) frequency as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.