• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tones broadcast on channel 23 in Mid Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8RUS

Back in the 1960's and 70's before CB expanded to 40 channels a series of tones were constantly broadcast on channel 23 in the mid-Michigan area. Does anyone recall this and where did they originate from? Rumor has it that they were paging tones from the University of Michigan Hosp in Ann Arbor. Does anyone recall ??

KF4ZTO

Pagers are still on 27.255 (channel 23) in Richmond, apparently they can legally use up to 25 watts (I've heard tones and databursts on that frequency many times).

It wouldn't surprise me if what you heard was something similar.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
11M believe it or not is still a shared band, radio control and telemetry, biomed and industrial are primary assignments, CB is secondary. I have no idea what you heard in Michigan but along the Transco gas pipeline in NJ we heard a three tone sequence constantly transmitted, telemetry from the compressor stations. BEE BOH BOO Well, we had 22 other channels.

N8RUS

BEE BAH BOO. That's a real good description of what was heard in this area. The signal was a solid 9 which isn't feasible if the signal was coming from Ann Arbor which is 35 to 40 miles away. There were several pipelines and facilities in the area at that time and there still is. Most of todays comms are by satellite to control centers in Canada and Minnesota.

KF4ZTO

That described the paging tones I've heard on 27.255 as well. They seem to be better heard in FM mode.

With a decent antenna on 25 watts of power, assuming the frequency isn't too congested, 40-50 mile range is entirely possible.

I used to work at a water park and it had a lightning detection system with remote sensors all over the property. The remotes all had a fiberglass CB antenna on them and used 27.255 MHz as their telemetry frequency back to the master unit/control panel. I've heard what sound like DTMF tones on 27.045 MHz (channel 7A) (with AM voice in the background, probably from outside the U.S.).

27 MHz is still very widely used for remote control, telemetry and paging. Some countries even license paging/telemetry outside the usual 26.965 to 27.405 MHz Part 95 band or the usual 26.957 to 27.283 MHz Part 18/Part 15 band. For example, the UK has an active paging band from 26.225 to 26.935 MHz, Ireland has a similar paging allocation starting at 26.175 up to the bottom of the CB band, Italy and other countries have paging around 27.7 and 27.8 MHz...

Last edited:

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
That described the paging tones I've heard on 27.255 as well. They seem to be better heard in FM mode.

With a decent antenna on 25 watts of power, assuming the frequency isn't too congested, 40-50 mile range is entirely possible.

I used to work at a water park and it had a lightning detection system with remote sensors all over the property. The remotes all had a fiberglass CB antenna on them and used 27.255 MHz as their telemetry frequency back to the master unit/control panel. I've heard what sound like DTMF tones on 27.045 MHz (channel 7A) (with AM voice in the background, probably from outside the U.S.).

27 MHz is still very widely used for remote control, telemetry and paging. Some countries even license paging/telemetry outside the usual 26.965 to 27.405 MHz Part 95 band or the usual 26.957 to 27.283 MHz Part 18/Part 15 band. For example, the UK has an active paging band from 26.225 to 26.935 MHz, Ireland has a similar paging allocation starting at 26.175 up to the bottom of the CB band, Italy and other countries have paging around 27.7 and 27.8 MHz...

My wireless mouse operates on ch 19 of the cb band, so whenever im on my computer, i have to shut off my CB's so i dont hear the interferrance.

KF4ZTO

^I imagine its actually on 27.195 MHz (channel "19A") - many wireless mice are on 27.195, 27.045 or 27.095 MHz...the RC frequencies, although it is entirely possible that it could be on 27.185...

See if you can hear the interference from your wireless mouse on 27.205 MHz (CB channel 20) as well...

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
^I imagine its actually on 27.195 MHz (channel "19A") - many wireless mice are on 27.195, 27.045 or 27.095 MHz...the RC frequencies, although it is entirely possible that it could be on 27.185...

See if you can hear the interference from your wireless mouse on 27.205 MHz (CB channel 20) as well...

Allready done that, ill switch to 18 and hear nothing, and ill switch to 20 and hear nothing. only in 19, ill hear rapid data bursts whenever the mouse moves

Status
Not open for further replies.