Tones on 27.635 & 27.645

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I think she inadvertently recorded the actual transmissions along with her tracks. Too bad the final mix didn't favor the tones more.:unsure:

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like tones I have heard on L band. Haven't the slightest idea what those tones are though. When the 11 meter band is open signals can come from around the globe. Who knows where that is originating from. Fascinating stuff!

Listen to some of these modes at: Signal Identification Wiki

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Good work marvinsuggs! "ROS" rang a bell for me, I have a screen shot of it back in 2014, using HDSDR. Note that you have to subtract 125 MHz from the frequency shown in HDSDR, so it is actually 27.635 MHz. This signal is well above the CB band so who/what could it be?

Time to try and decode it, anyone find ROS decoding software? Might be good to try it out.

Attachments

• ROS at 27.635mhz.jpg
    ROS at 27.635mhz.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 18

marvinsuggs

Premium Subscriber
Good work marvinsuggs! "ROS" rang a bell for me, I have a screen shot of it back in 2014, using HDSDR. Note that you have to subtract 125 MHz from the frequency shown in HDSDR, so it is actually 27.635 MHz. This signal is well above the CB band so who/what could it be?

Time to try and decode it, anyone find ROS decoding software? Might be good to try it out.

Thank u sir but Kevin Chessher gets all the credit! I think there's a link to down load the software on the message I posted 73s Marvin

I live near the US/Mexico border, and constantly hear spanish and spanglish speaking on 27.695 LSB, as well as other freq’s +/- 10 mhz steps from there. I always assumed it was low to mid level drug/people runners. Could also just be folks who cannot afford long distance cellular calls.

bill4long

It's called "Free Banding."
Been going on for 50+ years. Neither the FCC in the USA nor the Mexican govt seem to care enough to enforce.
And it's understandable why they don't. It just doesn't matter.
Now, when the band is open, expect to hear lots of operators on 27.555 (the defacto calling freq) and more.
When the next sun cycle starts to edge up, you will hear tons of activity all over the "free band" every day.
Like the plague.
("Free band" is 27.410 to 27.995 and also below the CB channels)

Last edited:

air-scan

It's called "Free Banding."
Been going on for 50+ years. Neither the FCC in the USA nor the Mexican govt seem to care enough to enforce.
And it's understandable why they don't. It just doesn't matter.
Now, when the band is open, expect to hear lots of operators on 27.555 (the defacto calling freq) and more.
When the next sun cycle starts to edge up, you will hear tons of activity all over the "free band" every day.
Like the plague.
("Free band" is 27.410 to 27.995 and also below the CB channels)

We are waiting on the first spike of solar flux from SC25 to happen. That is the terminator of SC24. Right now the SC24 magnetic bands are very weak. Already have seen 3 SC25 active plage and 2-SC25 sunpots in the last two weeks. 9-10 day intervals. NSO GONG PFSS images show us south (-) magnetic field is dominant which is opposite of SC24 north (+) magnetic field dominant. North field (SC24) is weaker. This implies SC25 rise time starts at 30-45 degrees south latitudes. Recent events seem to collaborate this. Last month we seen a coronal cavity erupt.

Low chances for new active plage or sunspots for a week or so.
The Earth facing view of the sun is showing North field sheet connection with a heavy -3 Bz angle due to a very weak coronal hole. This will probably last for the following (not the upcoming) week until the Earth is sitting in the south field sheet where most of the activity seems to be happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.