Tones on mil UHF NEPA 12 Sept 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2vvl

I have copied constant tones on these two channels for the past month:

288.0 S4
350.0 S2+

I do not have an audio spectrum analyzer so I can't tell whether or not these are pure tones or more complex, like data, but I hear nothing that I can recognize as modulation. These are signals & not birdies. They have different audio frequencies.

It would be interesting for others to check these out so that maybe we might determine their point of origin.

Jack
NE PA

wv2vvl

I have nothing, my location in Utah.

Thanks. Not surprising. I think this may be an East Coast thing. The list I got 288.0 from states that it is a refueling channel while 350.0 is listed as GIANT KILLER (FACSFAC VACAPES USN VA Beach, VA). They control the W areas off the coast for aircraft, surface ships as well as subs, so I suspect it may be a data link connected with them.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I figured I had nothing to lose, by giving them a try. There is a little bit of UHF Milcomms around here, but it does pick up in the summer, when we get visiting units, using the Utah Test and Training Range (UTTR). Many times they "bring" their home channels with them.

wv2vvl

I figured I had nothing to lose, by giving them a try. There is a little bit of UHF Milcomms around here, but it does pick up in the summer, when we get visiting units, using the Utah Test and Training Range (UTTR). Many times they "bring" their home channels with them.

Thanks for the input & taking the time to listen for those tones. I suspect that they are a regional thing based on my proximity to the East coast.

Do you hear anything in the band 30-88 MHz? I'm in metro Phila. I programmed my ICOM 8600 with all the 25 kHz channels from 30.000 to 63.000 & in over 3 weeks I've yet to hear a single comm on any of these channels. Not only am I in a built-up metro area, I'm near to NJ & southern NY, so this is puzzling. One example: NJ NG out of Trenton, NJ used to use 40.100 for OPS. I recently heard them on 242.4 instead.

Programming this receiver with over 1K channels requires the RT programming software but is still time consuming.

Jack

Tech792

NJNG abandoned 41.05 and 40.10 years ago when all the helos were moved from Picatinny to Lakehurst..........like you said, mostly 242.4 now. Last time I heard anything up around 64 mhz is when the A-10s from Barnes would pop on there from time to time. I can't recall the exact 64 mhz frequency. Low band military is still very active in this area. Mostly between out-of-state helicopters flying in groups transiting through the area.
32.9, 36.9, 45.0, 51.50 just to name a few.

Last edited:

wv2vvl

Thanks. That helps a lot.

Years ago Bound Brook had major flooding from the Raritan River & they called in the NJ NG for security. They operated on channels around 57 MHz - frequencies that most conventional scanners don't cover.

The lack of activity below 63 MHz makes me even more curious about what might be going on above 63 MHz - 63.025 to 87.975. That's about another 600 channels. I would not be surprised if the military has responded to the growth of scanners & internet feeds to opt to use channels above 54 MHz. So I plan to add those additional channels starting tonight.
=================================================================
NJNG abandoned 41.05 and 40.10 years ago when all the helos were moved from Picatinny to Lakehurst..........like you said, mostly 242.4 now. Last time I heard anything up around 64 mhz is when the A-10s from Barnes would pop on there from time to time. I can't recall the exact 64 mhz frequency. Low band military is still very active in this area. Mostly between out-of-state helicopters flying in groups transiting through the area.
=========================================================================
Any comments on the seeming lack of activity from the Warren Grove range? A typical A-10 practice mission was 286.2 for range control & FM for interplane. Nothing on Sunday or Monday but active most other days. Nothing now.
I have copied constant tones on these two channels for the past month:

288.0 S4
350.0 S2+

I do not have an audio spectrum analyzer so I can't tell whether or not these are pure tones or more complex, like data, but I hear nothing that I can recognize as modulation. These are signals & not birdies. They have different audio frequencies.

It would be interesting for others to check these out so that maybe we might determine their point of origin.

Jack
NE PA
16 Sept 2021

These tones are on all the time. Different audio frequencies. Signal strengths the same. I have to squelch out the 288.0 tone so the radio doesn't stop on it every 11 seconds. Unfortunately that keeps me from hearing weak signals on other channels.

Picked up a WX satellite on 137.9125. Repeating fax-like tones.

1723Z 131.825 UnIDed aircraft to CP ref passengers. I have this as Dover AFB. Interesting to hear the AF on an ARINC channel.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Over the past few weeks, I've heard Utah ANG on 40.8750. Unk FM comms on 49.0600 (tone=173.8), and a-a comms (AM) on 49.6250.
In addition to 2 baby monitors in the 49Mhz band, and a 72Mhz wireless mike :cool: . That is all. (nothing on 288.0000 and 350.0000)

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. That helps a lot.

Years ago Bound Brook had major flooding from the Raritan River & they called in the NJ NG for security. They operated on channels around 57 MHz - frequencies that most conventional scanners don't cover.

The lack of activity below 63 MHz makes me even more curious about what might be going on above 63 MHz - 63.025 to 87.975. That's about another 600 channels. I would not be surprised if the military has responded to the growth of scanners & internet feeds to opt to use channels above 54 MHz. So I plan to add those additional channels starting tonight.
=================================================================
=========================================================================
Any comments on the seeming lack of activity from the Warren Grove range? A typical A-10 practice mission was 286.2 for range control & FM for interplane. Nothing on Sunday or Monday but active most other days. Nothing now.

16 Sept 2021

These tones are on all the time. Different audio frequencies. Signal strengths the same. I have to squelch out the 288.0 tone so the radio doesn't stop on it every 11 seconds. Unfortunately that keeps me from hearing weak signals on other channels.

Picked up a WX satellite on 137.9125. Repeating fax-like tones.

1723Z 131.825 UnIDed aircraft to CP ref passengers. I have this as Dover AFB. Interesting to hear the AF on an ARINC channel.

131.825 is a known FedEx ops frequency. Could be a FedEx flight doing military charter that you heard. Or could be a military aircraft being handled at KEWR Newark Airport NJ.

Warren Grove is on 283.100 AM as the primary channel now.

Terry

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Not surprising. I think this may be an East Coast thing. The list I got 288.0 from states that it is a refueling channel while 350.0 is listed as GIANT KILLER (FACSFAC VACAPES USN VA Beach, VA). They control the W areas off the coast for aircraft, surface ships as well as subs, so I suspect it may be a data link connected with them.
I've had a radio set on these for the past month. Nothing heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.