Tonight's Skip..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

Database Admin
Didn't catch your post until tonight (July 28) Conditions are still great.

It was pretty awesome between 8:00 -9:00 EDT. I was receiving a ton of what I call "Mexican taxi's" in the 31 to 37 MHz range. I'm monitoring from Toronto ,Canada. :cool:

btritch

I see..

Well I have never picked up anything on low band at all, Period! All of my skip usually comes in on 150-170, I have yet to do a search on low band and hear anything, But I usually do most of it late at night, I sense this may not be the best time for listening.. I was sent some realtime tropospheric maps but I'm unsure how to read them, It's the bottom two posted in the skip monitoring topic in this forum....I'm not hearing as much tonight as I did last night, Last night they tore me up!!! Tonight's not that bad...

freqs

the past few nites in early am around 2 am strong skip in the 460 mhg .picking up sandusky OH from warren mi

nsrailfan6130

460 Mhz skip

the past few nites in early am around 2 am strong skip in the 460 mhg .picking up sandusky OH from warren mi

Along the lines of 460 mhz skip, from Lenawee County Michigan, Eaton County (Mi) and Seneca Co. (Oh) have been hitting me at 3/5 on my PSR 500.

Jerry

KC0QNB

Brian I am real surprised you haven't heard low band skip yet, what frequency are you searching?
I will agree VHF was hot last night though, our local area public safety was having real problems hearing their units, because of a lot of doubling going on.
On the other hand though I was able to check into a net last night at 8:30 from Hastings (Heartwell) and a ham from Colby KS, also checked in both over 100 miles away on 146.820MHz.

Last edited:

btritch

Brian I am real surprised you haven't heard low band skip yet, what frequency are you searching?
I will agree VHF was hot last night though, our local area public safety was having real problems hearing their units, because of a lot of doubling going on.
On the other hand though I was able to check into a net last night at 8:30 from Hastings (Heartwell) and a ham from Colby KS, also checked in both over 100 miles away on 146.820MHz.

anything from 30-50 MHZ and also from 150-170 MHZ...nothing..

KC0QNB

Although the band seems dead tonight, narrow your search to lo band Public safety and high band public safety, lo band from about 38-44 MHz, and high band from about 154-158 Mhz, you might have better luck I will run low band to night for a while ans\d see what happens.

mancow

Database Admin
I'm sitting here listening to 29.620 out of NY again. It's all about the antenna. Even a dipole works great. I'm using a 40 meter dipole and it's dragging in that repeater just fine.

anything from 30-50 MHZ and also from 150-170 MHZ...nothing..

btritch

I'm sitting here listening to 29.620 out of NY again. It's all about the antenna. Even a dipole works great. I'm using a 40 meter dipole and it's dragging in that repeater just fine.

That's what I was about to say... Everyone keeps telling me that... So in order to confirm what I'm using, I'm using a PRO 97 for searching along with a PSR 500 but I'm only using the 97 for search...On a tower and scantenna about 60 or so feet up.. To confirm what I have.. I have added photos to the shack forum.. Here's the link, Let me know what you think either here or there.. I didn't want to post it here and it get moved so I posted it there but it's purpose is so that everyone can see what I'm trying to recieve on and what with..

Here's the link:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114215

Status
Not open for further replies.