Too Many Frequencies ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrauditor

Premium Subscriber
I was prepared to program my RS 106 utilizing Win500 for Cobb County, Cherokee County and Paulding County [on different scan lists] but saw that Cobb fire has 15 frequencies and Cobb police has 18 frequencies to choose from and just those two entities is more than the allowable 32 frequencies per trunking system. And I wanted to also include Kennesaw, Acwworth, KSU, Wellstar etc [part of the same system] on the same Cobb scan list. Can I split up the Cobb system on multiple scan lists or do all frequencies in the same system have to be in the same scan list ?

Thanks.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
That's not an extreme number of frequencies or talkgroups. That scanner can hold 1,800 active "objects," which are conventional frequencies (e.g., 155.3400 FM) or talkgroups (e.g., 30201 Cobb County Fire Dept. Dispatch).

For a trunked system, all of the frequencies for a site (Cobb County) must be programmed into the scanner. Newer scanners, like the -106, will allow you to program only the control channels (but plug-in the blue and red ones). This reduces the number of frequencies that have to be entered.

You can split up your listening on that scanner in a number of ways:
1. All of Cobb County (every agency) in one scanlist
2. Only Cobb County Fire Dept in one scanlist
3. All fire departments in one scanlist (including the other counties you listed)
4. All of the above, so you can change your listening on-the-fly.
Etc.

If you are hand programming any scanner, that may seem like an impossible mission. I strongly recommend that you buy the appropriate scanner programming software. It's well worth the cost. I paid for WIN500 for my PSR-500 and it's been worth every dollar, year after year. Here's a list of good programs to check out (and buy): Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

You have this bookmarked, right? >>>> Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Here is an example of multiple scanlists for one trunked system. It's not Cobb County, but you should get the idea....

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    194.5 KB · Views: 173

N8IAA

I was prepared to program my RS 106 utilizing Win500 for Cobb County, Cherokee County and Paulding County [on different scan lists] but saw that Cobb fire has 15 frequencies and Cobb police has 18 frequencies to choose from and just those two entities is more than the allowable 32 frequencies per trunking system. And I wanted to also include Kennesaw, Acwworth, KSU, Wellstar etc [part of the same system] on the same Cobb scan list. Can I split up the Cobb system on multiple scan lists or do all frequencies in the same system have to be in the same scan list ?

Thanks.
Just a quick tutorial on trunked systems. The listing for the FD, SO, and PD's, are not "frequencies". They are Talk Group ID's. The only frequencies that are used will be the main Control Channel, and the alternate Control Channels. When a trunking system is imported to Win500, the CC's are considered one Object. The Objects are what used to be channels in a bank in the old scanners. Scanlists can be made up of however many Objects that you wish. The trunked systems are limited to 32 frequencies. The scanner has approximately 1800 Objects. So, with 20 Scanlists, you can do a lot of programming:) I have my 106 and 197 setup using diferent scanlists for multiple TGID's. For Gwinnett, which I can only monitor FD, the scanlist just has the main dispatch and Tac ID's. For Forsyth county, I use three scanlists. One for SO and Cumming PD. Another for FD, and one more for Special Ops. For Cobb, I group everything together under one scanlist. I rarely go that direction, and from where I live, I don't hear the system well. Memory management in the GRE/RS is not the best. I like how my 396XT is set up for managing memory. I can have one group with multiple subgroups that can be turned on and off. It is my main portable scanner. I just wish that it had the audio of my 106.
So, if you want, you can set up the FD, SO, PD'S in separate scanlists which allows you to turn on/off individual scanlists when the action heats up:)
HTH,
Larry

mrauditor

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick replies and the explanations. I need to learn to speak the correct terminology, as I am more familiar with programming analog scanners. Let me digest your responses and get back to you if I have any further questions.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.