Top 5 digital scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6KRU

Sorry, I thought, from the other posts on the threads, that the system you were monitoring was TDMA. (That's what has been clearly problematic.)

What I do now find interesting is that you're not getting decent audio on the Moto II mixed mode system. I need to check around here to see if we have any active mixed mode Moto II systems (which I'm pretty sure we do and I believe I know of one right now but need to verify it and a second which may be, but I'm not sure yet)...then check to see if anyone is having problems monitoring it/them. I seldom do on my 396XT and HP-1 although both, at times, get slightly distorted - but not enough to distort the transmissions to the point where I cannot understand them. I'll ask our Tech if either or both are using Moto II mixed mode.

Shell

You don't understand. Just because one system can be monitored successfully doesn't mean that all systems of that type can. Please reread my previous posts in this thread.

Last edited:

Highpockets

P.S. And how can you say that Uniden doesn't make adjustments? They've been the ONLY scanner manufacturer which has consitently released (for many years now) firmware updates for many of their scanners and, in particular, for the 396 series! Maybe it doesn't fit exactly what you want but they've been extremely responsive to user feedback for a very long time - significantly moreso than any other manufacturer.

Now that's a laugh, no way does Uniden give support like GRE and that's a fact!

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Great thread. For the traditional (stick in the mud) scanner user, the Pro-106 / Pro-197 is the way to go, if you do much simulcast monitoring, and you want bang for the buck. They are better than the unidens for P25 simulcast, and are CHEAP.

If you are a serious milair person, you might go to the uniden. I can tell you that the BEST base scanners for milair are the BC780XLT, and the BCD996XT, in that order. Of course, that's just my experience. Of course I live within miles of a major air force base, and within listening range (with the right setup) of two USAF test ranges. For a milair handheld, the GRE / RS Pro-43 still rules, though you will need headphones to hear it as the audio is pathetic. Hey, it's twenty years old!

After owning everything, the PSR-800 eventually grew on me (ditch the stock antenna and put a PSR-500 antenna on it, trust me). Once you see the digital performance, combined with having 200 scan lists and 20 scan sets, and once you get used to the menu structure, you will love it too, unless you MUST have instant one button bank turn-off / turn-on. The database feature means nothing to me, unless I have to take a last minute trip and don't have time to set up a v-scanner for the trip. Then it is handy. RR alpha tags normally don't suit my OCD personality, Esp. for local use where I created my own alpha tags years ago (that make sense to me). The 800 can record weeks or months of audio on the SD card (depending on the size you choose), for instant or future review. Everything you hear is recorded, sort of like a DVR for your TV. You can "rewind", or listen again later, or keep the file on your computer, or website. Without the backlight, the display STINKS, but hey, buy and extra set of good batteries, and call it a day. Leave the backlight on, and you are good. Once one REALLY understands how to use scan lists combined with scan sets, they are happy campers. And keep in mind, I live in a large metro area with tons of things to monitor, and I monitor EVERYTHING. So it is unlikely you will find this radio inadequate.

ecampbell54

Pro-106

I love the Pro-106 and Win 500 programming software. The feature I did not know that I could not live without is the ability to change the LED color, make it flash, and turn on the back lighting for different talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.