• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Top of a hill with my HT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCNHB

I hit just a few more repeaters with my HT from the hilltop than from inside my home.

A few channels are more clear.
But other than that, a decent work out getting there on my bicycle.

I've lived here 7 years and never had any motivation to ride my bike to the top of this hill. Until radio came along recently. I'll get on any hill now. To see how my HT performs.

Have a great day people!

egu2e6u2.jpg

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious, where is this?

I love taking my HT on hikes in the mountains out West. My best simplex HT contact exceeds 60 miles, and was crystal clear. HT to repeater was around 75 miles. That was from a mountain top RADAR site in Wyoming, to Billings Montana. An FAA tech there told me the distance, as that is also the site of the longest distance between 2 microwave link stations in the FAA system.

Enjoy!

JCNHB

Wow 75 miles simplex from an Ht! Yeah that's gotta be a record.

I am located in Irvine, California.
The trail I am on is called Quail Hill.

I'm still new to radio so I'm hesitant to transmit because I don't know what to say.. Haha

I need to start doing some radio checks so I know where the repeaters are that I am hitting.

I programmed the frequencies from a list but I have no idea where any of the repeaters are located.

James

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Top of hill

Height does wonderful things for 2 meters. I had a QSO from the Kalamazoo, MI area using a HT to a high rise on the lake shore of Chicago one night when we had a temperature inversion.

JCNHB

I had to look that up. But ok, MIR is a space satellite. 233 miles up.

So there is definitely some range with a clear line of sight.

Man...

HT's are awesome now.. but back before there were cell phones, having an HT must have been something else.

JCNHB

Wait ok. If I can get that much distance at 5w in line of sight, what is the reason for getting a mobile unit that does 50w. Assuming all other factors are the same

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wait ok. If I can get that much distance at 5w in line of sight, what is the reason for getting a mobile unit that does 50w. Assuming all other factors are the same

Simply because all factors are not the same. While with LOS a 5w signal can travel many many miles, usually repeaters are on mountain tops/tall towers/tall buildings, with the mobile needs more juice to be heard simply due to un matched antennas. A 50w repeater, going into a 6db gain antenna has an ERP of 150w(not factoring duplexer or feed line losses) is much different from a 50w mobile into a 1/4wave or even a 5/8wave antenna(at best 100w ERP) I work a repeater that puts 12.5w into 350' of 7/8" hard line, and has an ERP of about 50w it gets out much farther than a 5 watt radio can transmit, needing more power to get back to it.

I have a TM-V 71a, I normally only have my power set to 10w, and only ever go to 50w when I get noisy. Even then I do not get more than another 10-15miles use out of the repeater before I can not be heard any more. Raw power is over rated when it comes to VHF/UHF your antenna system is where the most significant gains can be made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JCNHB

Thank you for your explanation. Helps my understanding a lot. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Basically how many more miles of range roughly you get from 50w vs 10w.

Is there a more significant difference between 5w and 10w?

Or is 5w really the most efficient use of wattage for the range that it gives?

KD8DVR

Well, I had a QSO with an HT from Ohio to Montana.... Oh... yeah.. Had a Satellite in between us. 5 Watts. Yep.. works fine :)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thank you for your explanation. Helps my understanding a lot. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Basically how many more miles of range roughly you get from 50w vs 10w.

Is there a more significant difference between 5w and 10w?

Or is 5w really the most efficient use of wattage for the range that it gives?

Will 50w travel farther than 10w? Yes. Will it be significant? Depends.

Is there a more significant difference between 5w and 10w? No. It is only 3db. The average user will never notice a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.