Topeka, KS- County trip to look at public safety radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
County trip to look at public safety radios[b/]

By Tim Hrenchir
THE CAPITAL-JOURNAL

Six Shawnee County representatives will make a two-day visit this month to Richardson, Texas, to learn about a high-dollar, Cassidian Communications public safety radio system that city is putting in place.

County trip to look at public safety radios | CJOnline.com

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
I have a dumb question,

Why is Shawnee county and the city of Topeka buying their own system when they have and use talkgroups on the statewide P25 system?

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Cassidian is TETRA, right? TETRA is non-P25 complaint, right?

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Cassidian is TETRA, right? TETRA is non-P25 complaint, right?

A majority of the systems produced by Cassidian have been TETRA (mostly in Europe), but they also manufacture P-25 here in the US. Richardson, TX is their first P-25 system. Sedgwick County, KS will be 2nd. They will also be deploying a couple of systems in California.

That is correct, TETRA does not comply with P25 standards.

Last edited:

ts548

A majority of the systems produced by Cassidian have been TETRA (mostly in Europe), but they also manufacture P-25 here in the US. Richardson, TX is their first P-25 system. Sedgwick County, KS will be 2nd. They will also be deploying a couple of systems in California.

They have a system in TN, and they are currently working on building a 700mhz trunked P25 system in the county I live in. So there is currently more then 2 out there in the US

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
They have a system in TN, and they are currently working on building a 700mhz trunked P25 system in the county I live in. So there is currently more then 2 out there in the US

Gotcha. I was just going off info provided in the Sedgwick County bid award: http://www.sedgwickcounty.org/Purchasing/bid_tabs/10-0254BT.pdf. From what I hear Cassidian isn't very good about sticking to contract terms (system buildout deadlines and such). Hopefully Shawnee County carefully considers other vendors as well.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure why Shawnee County is dead against simply joining KSICS like Leavenworth, Reno and Butler Counties have. They want a stand alone P-25 system that they have complete control of- though they have not ruled out networking it into KSICS if they can come to an agreement with KDOT. It is kind of ironic that they are going this direction as the existing Topeka/Shawnee County trunk has been a joint local-state system and has been used nationally as an example of intergovernmental partnership.

They tried to sole source the system through /\/\ at $19.6 million- but the county commission balked. Cassidian came in right after that offering them the option of joining the contract they just signed with Sedgwick County for a system (state law allows this). Cassidian is appreciably lower than /\/\- but they have been hesitant to go with them until they can see a system actually in use- hence the trip to Texas.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
I have a dumb question,

Why is Shawnee county and the city of Topeka buying their own system when they have and use talkgroups on the statewide P25 system?

Not a dumb question at all. The state system has not been built for in-building radio coverage, so they would have to invest (like Leavenworth and Butler) money into KSICS to add additional towers (a think the last number was 6- feel free to correct me) in Shawnee County. If they are going to invest money, they- like Sedgwick County, want total control and do not want to partner with the state.

As far as the talkgroups they have now on the state system. Most of those are simply holding a place in the talkgroup plan- they are not in regular use. The only talkgroup I have regularly heard them use are the regional interop (mainly the PSAP) and emergency management talkgroups.

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
Again, my theory on interoperibility.

It is not a technical problem it is an ATTITUDE problem."You guys cant talk on my channel" and such nonsense.

I was listening to the OKWIN in the Oklahoma City metro area a while back. There was an accident on I-40 around Midwest city and Del city. I heard a fire unit call and ask his dispatcher to call the responding EMS agency on the phone and tell them something trivial like how to get down to the secene or something. A minute or two later i heard the EMS dispatcher tell the EMS unit the message. Both department are on the same system, they have to have each others talkgroups in their radios. Why not switch over and pass the simple message and leave the dispatchers out of it.

/ Rant Off

Raccon

Cassidian makes TETRA, TETRAPOL and P25 equipment.

That is correct, TETRA does not comply with P25 standards.
From what I heard neither does a lot of P25 equipment.

bldavis

From what I hear Cassidian isn't very good about sticking to contract terms (system buildout deadlines and such). Hopefully Shawnee County carefully considers other vendors as well.

An interesting statement, given that Richardson is the first Cassidian system, is fully built and on the air, was completed from start to finish in six months and ahead of schedule. Normally a process like that takes 2-3 years to complete, so I'm curious on what basis your "I hear" comment is offered. The facts don't support it.

It's also worth noting, that Moto's original 3-site estimate for Richardson was reported at $16 million, using XTS 2500 and 5000 radios. Working with Cassidian, Richardson actually built a 4-site Cassidian simulcast system, using Moto APX 7000 and 6000 radios, and their actual documented expenditures were $7 million. Less than half, and a far more capable system. It's also 100% Phase II capable, does data, OTAR and OTAP, etc. Pay less than half, get all bells and whistles. Hard to find negative story there. Shawnee County showing some smarts.

csackley

Thanks for that clarrification.

Frankly, it is time that the communities around the United States start exercising some RESPONSIBLE GOVERNMENT and stop buying proprietary network technology at a 40-50% premium. Taxpayers deserve to see their tax dollars spent more responsibly. Especially in this economy. How can they live with themselves by doing anything less.

The City of Richardson has a network that supports Motorola mobiles and APX portables, OTAR, OTAP and has a console from AVTEC and fire alerting. All state of the art technology. All working perfectly. And all for $5M less than what they were quoted by the company that monopolizes this industry.

It is time for change.

Caro23

in addition, Golden Gate Bridge District, New Zealand Police Countrywide network, RCMP Ontario, Portland, and few others networks worldwide, all P25 networks...
and mine soon !
I had to do my homework recently and Cassidian (EADS) has a real robust and open standard solution. the good way to save a large amount of money..
sorry Mister /\/\ - i will not select your solution this time even if it was my first intention !

Status
Not open for further replies.