Topeka, KS - P-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
Sounds like Shawnee county is pretty close to switching over to P-25 phase 1. They have been doing a number of radio tests and some units are using / testing the radios live. KHP Troop B has been also doing major testing.

I am speculating that it may be operational by end of April. So far other than the weird sound ( compared to analog ), it is readable.

Time will tell.

SKINNY1

Ya, Lawrence is supposed to be switching over to P-25 by the end of the month too. I hope we can still pick up Topeka here in Lawrence after they switch over.

daves1243

Premium Subscriber
Question: Is the Radioreference database for Topeka correct? I bought a new Uniden HomePatrol recently, and I'm not hearing any Topeka action, and I live about as close to Topeka as you can get and still be in the city of Lawrence?

I used to hear quite a bit of Topeka activity on my old Pro-92.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like Shawnee county is pretty close to switching over to P-25 phase 1. They have been doing a number of radio tests and some units are using / testing the radios live. KHP Troop B has been also doing major testing.

I am speculating that it may be operational by end of April. So far other than the weird sound ( compared to analog ), it is readable.

Time will tell.

....it's my understanding that the new patrol units recently acquired by the Sheriffs dept. already have the P25 radios installed and that the deputies have been talking on them....a car to car talk around I assume. County refuse is also using the P25's ...not sure if every truck and service vehicle is equipped at this time.

Which scanner are you listening in on....been mobile with it yet? I am still on the fence as to take a chance on buying a Uniden and have it work or wait on Whistlers offering.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
daves1243 said:
I used to hear quite a bit of Topeka activity on my old Pro-92.

....That's what I have been using since they came out.....awesome scanner....does not owe me anything. I still hear the routine traffic here in Topeka....Police, Sheriff, city and county Fire, Emergency Management, Ambulance...I use an aftermarket rubber antenna on the scanner and hook it up to a base mounted antenna when in the truck.

Last edited:

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Talkgroups so far

Just listening a bit to the new system-

0401= Shawnee Sheriff Main (Confirmed)

1553 & 1554 = Metro Topeka Transportation?

Status
Not open for further replies.