Topeka/ Shawnee Co P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottk

Hello all, happy holidays,

I recently noticed I don't hear the Topeka/ Shawnee system on my scanner any more have all info in scanner correct have a good antenna, just don't hear the simulcast anymore , was wondering if I missed some re banding or what has changed

scanner is uniden bcd 996t, all frequencies correct , system set up correctly ,I used to hear them all the time now nothing rarely even see data control frequency on screen just nfm with an occasional flicker of lnk
but that's it
any help appreciated!

Redneck0410

You could try turning a few settings up on your scanner to make it more sensitive, but from the info I see, you may need an external antenna (if you don't already) and point it toward Topeka.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bottk

Yip I have an outdoor ant top of roof always had them good reception before

Used to get them loud n clear just wondered if something on the system had changed I wasn't aware of

Every now and then I hear transit but never any law enforcement or emergency type groups even run in search mode most of time

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
Topeka comms. on the air

Listening to T.P.D as I type this 17:50HRS 12-16-16 sounds normal here..... Highland Park area of town...monitoring a BCD996T on a telescopic antenna.

nec911

For my anniversary I received a G4 unication. Unication USA

I have it programmed to Shawnee County P25 right now.

I am going to be keeping it with me and seeing how it works as I go throughout the county.

So far after 5 days I have not had it miss traffic when I keep it scanning the same as my duty radios.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
Whats one more radio...right?

Congrats on another radio to haul around...
Question's
..So how was the G4 for programming as far as difficulty? Do you have any of the KSICS talk groups programmed in it? How far out away from the tower sites have you had it and still hear traffic?

I am not in the market for a new hand held, BUT, either my computer does not recognize my /\/\otorola XTS 5000 or the radio does not recognize the computer ..either way I am wanting to delete a few talk groups and add a few more.....if I cant find a way to program it the way I want it , I might be looking at something a little bit more user friendly and computer compatible...

Fireattack484

Feed Provider
Running a G4 on KSICS and Sedgwick County system here. . . The G4 receives as well as an XTS radio - especially if you switch out the stubby antenna for a Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna, or an XTS antenna. The range of course depends on so many factors other than the receiver, it's hard to give an estimated distance for coverage. I can monitor the SG CO system from 30-40 miles away from the nearest site using the stubby antenna. KSICS isn't always that good, but again, terrain, tower height, ERP, weather, all factor into that.

As for programming. . .. The interface itself is pretty easy to figure out. I programmed mine with no instruction other than the online tutorial video. The more difficult thing is knowing WHAT to program as opposed to HOW to program it. This is because the G4 was not designed as a scanner, and therefore doesn't function like one. E.g. not having "Scan", "Man", "Lockout", "Skip" keys forces you to program many nearly duplicate scan lists with each omitting one or more talk groups that you would otherwise simply "Lockout" on a normal scanner if you didn't want them. If you're the type that just likes to casually listen to anything that comes across, or a single talk group essentially in "Manual" mode, this might not be as much of an issue. Another issue is in regards to monitoring a multi-site, non-simulcast system like KSICS. The issue is that you cannot program the entire system into the radio and then force it to lock onto a specific site (RFFS). If you want to monitor a specific site, you have to treat that site as its own system when you program the radio. Otherwise, the radio is always going to lock onto the site with the strongest signal. the other major drawback is that the radio will not omit encrypted traffic. You just have to grit your teeth and suffer through it.

It's a great radio, even with it's shortcomings, and I would highly recommend it as long as you aren't trying to monitor any Phase II transmissions. Feel free to reply or PM me with any specific questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.