torn which scanner to buy any help would be appreacited!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
whistler 1080
Amazon.com: WHISTLER WS1080 Digital Handheld Radio Scanner: Electronics

whistler 1040
Amazon.com: Whistler WS1040 Digital Handheld Scanner (Black): Electronics

uniden BCD396XT
Amazon.com: Uniden Handheld TrunkTracker IV Digital Police Scanner (BCD396XT): Electronics

I will be listening NJSP highband trunking
Delaware River park service they changed to digital. frequency is 166.950

and low band 46.100

thanks for help in advance. I always had uniden but seems like people have been somewhat unhappy with them going by reviews on Amazon. The whistler ones are too new there aren't that many reviews. So I was hoping some guys had them and could give me some info on them . Thanks again !!

Chris45

Opinion Only

I would go with the WS-1080 and steer away from Uniden. The 1080 is not the battery hog that the PSR-800 was. It has good features and performance. The latest Uniden radios were thrown together in a hurry and, as the Forum has uncovered, not made very well. I have field tested both the BCD436HP and the 1080. My experience is that the 1080 receives much better and is not a problematic hassle as the Uniden has proven to be to many users. It kind of reminds me of the Apple iPhone myth of superiority to a Samsung Galaxy or LGg3 smartphone.

Read and explore this forum starting with last February and read the problems folks were having with Uniden. Then read the latest information from the Whistler users. It's your money so spend it wisely.

N8IAA

The 1040 will give you great coverage on the NJSP. I believe that the low band will be heard better than on the 1080.
The 396XT won't do you wrong either.
I do own the RS Pro-106, PSR-800, and the 396XT. So I do know from my experience.
Larry

KSDeputy

I am trying to decide between the BCD436HP & the WS 1040. I could not get used to a scanner without a keyboard. I will be listening to the new P25 Phase I system in Topeka, KS, & the digital system in Lawrence, KS. Also the Sheriff in both counties. I am a radio user, not a technician. I would appreciate any assistance from someone more knowledgeable than myself. Thanks.

Last edited:

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
I decided to get the ws1080 awesome scanner . Esy to program and very sensitive .

Status
Not open for further replies.