Tornado Chasers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVT

I have a very stupid question to ask. What frequincies do the pro tornado chasers use? I have seen them on the Discovery and they have been in our area more than once. I live in Nebraska and would like to know how to listen to them. Thank You.

jim202

Ever get close enough to ask one? Maybe the good old standby of CB. Maybe some of the VHF
itinerant channels that you can use any place around the country. There is a ton of channels they
could use.

Jim

I have a very stupid question to ask. What frequincies do the pro tornado chasers use? I have seen them on the Discovery and they have been in our area more than once. I live in Nebraska and would like to know how to listen to them. Thank You.

TVT

Alway's at the wrong place at the wrong time. They have been in our town before but I am always at work. I do know that TIV was here at least twice last year. It is that time of year around here and anything could happen. I have been away from the c.b. radio for over 25 years.

RadioDaze

I don't think they are using CBs. It looks like they have a variety of commercial mobile and handheld radios. I froze the Tivo on one of the mobiles once, but I forgot what it was. Some kind of a 4-channel radio.

Doubt they are using ham radios either, since they're using them in commerce. (Pure amateur chasers should be fine with ham rigs.)

If you poke around on Reed Timmer's site, or even send him an email, you might find out more. Or at least have a good time in the process.
TornadoVideos.Net | Home

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

They run on VHF High, not on the itinerant frequencies.

EDIT: Certainly not on CB

Last edited:

gary123

The equipment is Motorola. I have spotted a Gp300 and a M1225. They are using UHF probably 450-470mhz

redhelmet13

Vortex 2 uses commercial 2 ways on several freqs. There is a guide somewhere for the project (last year) which listed the operations plan and communications stuff.

A lot of chasers are hams and use various simplex freqs on 2 mtrs/220 mhz and 70 cm.

I am experimenting with using echolink or loudtalks for voip/roip ops while chasing.

tealc_07

Storm Chasers

I am a storm chaser and we use CB to talk between vehicles. We are equipped with VHF and can use MURS if we want too. Most chasers in this area use HAM radio to communicate with the National Weather Service, Emergency Command, and other chasers.

Status
Not open for further replies.