Tornado hit my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper43

The tornados that whent through Hancock Co hit my house. Not a tree left standing. Trashed all my antennas and around 20k to the house etc.

V

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Viper43 said:
The tornados that whent through Hancock Co hit my house. Not a tree left standing. Trashed all my antennas and around 20k to the house etc.
Ouch! I hope everyone is OK. You can replace antennas, and houses, but people are a little more difficult to replicate.

Are you sure it was a tornado? Is the debris scattered around in all directions or just in one direction? How about the trees? Are they all blown one direction or are they pointing every which way?

I'm guessing that the NWS will be out doing damage assessments this morning. Based on the damage they observe, they will make a tornado vs. straight-line winds determination and, if it's a tornado, they'll rate the strength on the Enhance Fujita scale based on the level of the damage.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
No reports of a tornado came in for the Indianapolis area - so if you think it was, submit it to them...

GTO_04

Viper43 said:

V

Sorry to read that! At least there were no injuries. Hopefully you won't have too much trouble settling with the insurance company.

What part of Hancock Co. are you in? My sister lives in Cumberland and she did not have any damage.

GTO_04

N9WP

Viper that sucks....Hopefully your house will be ok, antenna's can be replaced and didn't you want those trees down anyway? Hope nobody got hurt...

AK9R

Super Moderator
Preliminary finding by the Indianapolis office of the National Weather Service is that the damage in northeastern Marion and northern Hancock Counties was a tornado.

A preliminary report of a National Weather Service storm survey determined a tornado touched down at 42nd Street and Post Road in Marion county last night. The tornado traveled southeast to 38th Street and Mitthoeffer Road and 38th and German Church Road. The evidence suggested that the tornado touched down in an area of straight line wind damage. The tornado wind speeds were estimated at greater than 100 mph. An enhanced Fujita Damage Scale rating will be determined later today. The straight line wind speeds were determined to be around 70 mph.

See http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_story.php?wfo=ind&storyid=14997&source=0 for more storm reports from last night.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Worse news was that it happened without a warning... All the Tornado Warnings they issued downstream for that cell ended up not coming true.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I Heard the Cells that went through IN,OH,IL last night were quite nasty,
Glad to hear no one got hurt and you are ok, Things can be replaced.

brentoli

Deactivated Duplicate Account
Banned
rdale said:
Worse news was that it happened without a warning... All the Tornado Warnings they issued downstream for that cell ended up not coming true.

It did? Sounded to me like we got 5 to 10 min lead time on it. I know thats not the 30-40 they shoot for, but better then 0.

GTO_04

Well, yes and no. There were severe thunderstorm warnings, but no tornado warnings for Hancock Co. The only tornado warning I heard for the metro area was Hendricks County that was expanded to southern Marion Co. IIRC.

GTO_04

AK9R

Super Moderator
Here's a timeline for you:

At 9:27 PM EDT on May 30, NWS issued a Tornado Warning for NORTHERN HENDRICKS, SOUTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY, NORTHEASTERN PUTNAM COUNTY. (Sorry for the all caps...I'm cutting and pasting from NWS text products.)

At 10:11 PM EDT, NWS issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for SOUTHERN BOONE, SOUTHERN HAMILTON, HENDRICKS, MARION COUNTY.

From The Indianapolis Star:
The National Weather Service said the twister touched down at 10:27 p.m. at 42nd Street and Post Road, and traveled 2.5 miles to East 38th Street and Black Locust Drive just east of German Church Road in the next three minutes.

At 10:32 PM EDT, NWS issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for SOUTHEASTERN HAMILTON, HANCOCK, SOUTHERN MADISON COUNTY.

At 10:34 PM EDT, NWS issued a Tornado Warning for NORTHWESTERN HANCOCK COUNTY.

At 10:47 PM EDT, NWS issued a Tornado Warning for NORTHEASTERN HANCOCK, SOUTHEASTERN MADISON, WESTERN HENRY COUNTY.

The tornado that touched down at 42 and Post was apparently not spotted by anybody before it hit. There was a funnel cloud spotted near North Salem, Indiana, in northwestern Hendricks County about an hour before the tornado touched down in northeastern Marion County. One of our spotters in north central Hendricks County thought he was seeing a lowering of the cloud base which might have been a tornado. This was reported to NWS. As you scan through the storm reports on the NWS web site, you see lots of heavy rain and high wind reports from northern Hendricks and northern Marion Counties, but no wall clouds, funnel clouds, or tornados.

We have been spoiled by all of the tornado videos we are seeing on television these days. Most of those are shot in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas where the tornados are very easy to spot because the supercells that are generating the tornados don't produce a lot of rain. In this part of the country, we get a lot of high precipitation supercells. It's very easy for a tornado to be "rain wrapped" making it nearly impossible to see, especially at night.

delallen

Viper43 said:

V

This happened to me in the mid 90's. There was an argument if it was a tornado or straight line winds. WHO CARES!!! I had at my estimate $5,000 worth of damage that ended up being over $12,000. That did not include the trees that were not covered.
Viper43 I feel for you!

kg9qm

delallen said:
This happened to me in the mid 90's. There was an argument if it was a tornado or straight line winds. WHO CARES!!! I had at my estimate $5,000 worth of damage that ended up being over $12,000. That did not include the trees that were not covered.
Viper43 I feel for you!

In the '02 tornado that hit Marion County, it was a rude awakening to find out that tree removal was ONLY for those that landed on the house. The tree rats from out of state were swarming, offering to 'help' me for $3k to as much as $6k. And THAT was just to haul the downed debris to the curb.

Well, thankfully most landed in the yard and the house was fairly unscathed, but then it was all my own labor went into cleaning it up. That made for a week's worth of woodcutting the many, many large trees that came down (which I honestly think saved the house by taking the brunt of the force).

I saw a TV report from Saturday where a few trees down by an oil-change business in Lawrence was quoted at $12K!!!

The news people are so intent on 'was it a tornado' and it's a bit silly. Wind damage is wind damage, regardless of what kind.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
It's not the news people -- it's the people who've been hit by a storm. They get MMMAAADDD if you don't call their damage from a tornado. I made the mistake of telling someone his damage from straightlines winds, a mistake I never repeated.

Now I just tell people "we'll take all the data back to the office and then determine" unless I'm convinced it's a tornado.

brentoli

Banned
GTO_04 said:
Well, yes and no. There were severe thunderstorm warnings, but no tornado warnings for Hancock Co. The only tornado warning I heard for the metro area was Hendricks County that was expanded to southern Marion Co. IIRC.

GTO_04

There was a tornado warning issued. (see above) However, NWS has already established that the damage from Hancock county east was straight line winds. Not that it matters, damage is damage, but it doesn't seem like the ball was dropped anywhere.

kg9qm

rdale said:
It's not the news people -- it's the people who've been hit by a storm. They get MMMAAADDD if you don't call their damage from a tornado. I made the mistake of telling someone his damage from straightlines winds, a mistake I never repeated.

Now I just tell people "we'll take all the data back to the office and then determine" unless I'm convinced it's a tornado.

Maybe it is because there's no 'EF' to brag about? We need and 'EFS' for Enhanced Fujita Straightline. Bring some respect to the straightline winds. Or we can just call 'em 'linear tornados' :wink:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
brentoli said:
There was a tornado warning issued.

AFTER the tornado had lifted... There was NO tornado warning for the tornado touchdown in Indianapolis.

kg9qm said:
Maybe it is because there's no 'EF' to brag about?

We still use the EF scale to rank the straight-line wind speeds, but again - people want to tell their friends that they got hit by a tornado. Anything less is just wimpy winds :)

brentoli

Banned
A warning is a warning.
I think people are starting to realize a severe thunderstorm warning can be just as grave as a tornado warning.

I do stand corrected on one point, from an updated Public Info Statement:

National Weather Service storm survey also determined that a tornado touched down in northwestern Hancock County. This tornado touched down at 10:35 PM just south of County Road 700 North on County Road 400 West. The tornado tracked to the northeast until County Road 50 East just south of State Road 234 when it lifted at 10:40 PM. The tornado was rated EF-1 with wind speeds around 100 mph, had a width of 200 yards, and a length of 4.5 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.