Tornado Warning - Hunt, Delta, Hopkins Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
NWS - 18:42 has issued a second tornado warning for Hunt, Delta & Hopkins Co. Texas Specifically for Commerce & Cooper untill 7:00 PM.

Hunt Co. ARES net: 146.7800

No comfirmation of Tornado making direct hits - Confirmed Spotter rotation in the Campbell area.

18:45 Commerce Police confirming rotation -

Delta Co. Sheriff Spotters on 155.6250 151.4 Watching possible lowering in the Cooper area from Commerce. NWS has requested Hunt ARES to chase into Delta Co. as there are no skywarn spotters for Delta Co. (18:59)

19:15 Delta Co. Sheriff reporting tree's down in the Cooper area.

19:40 NWS has issued a Tornado warning for Lamar County untill 20:15
Lamar Co. SO 155.6850 186.2
Lamar Co. FD 154.9800 186.2
Lamar Co. ARES 146.7600 114.8

19:45 NWS issues a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Eastern Fannin & Western Lamar Counties. Fannin ARES net (semi) operational on 145.4700 CSQ

19:47 Reno Fire sounding Sirens (Reno is a few miles East of Paris)

19:54 Lamar Sheriff reporting all of Reno is without Electricity and the one traffic light is blown down. SO requesting TXDOT

20:05 NWS issues new Watches and Warnings for North Texas - Tornado Watch untill 02:00, Thunderstorm Watch untill 06:00, NWS also advises Hunt Co. ARES to stand-down untill furthur notice.

Paris ARES 441.5250 discussing future events, Next serious batch expected into the area after midnight.

GRLevel3 Radar shows a BIG system moving NE Slowley From West of San Antonio, Possibly reaching NE or NC Texas after Midnight. Amature resources and EOC's are monitoring this potential wave. untill then, its just moderate rainfall.
Reports from Campbell, Cash, Cooper, Reno & Commerce indicate possible brief touchdowns or High wind dammage. Greenville Electric is Active on their Frequency. Fannin Co. Coop is Busy on 461.7000 PL: 141.3, Texas New Mexico Electric on 451.1500 PL: 186.2

NWS Issues a Severe thunderstorm Warning for Eastern Fannin Co. untill 8:45PM. Storm capable of Pee to Penny size hail and Winds in excess of 60MPH. Moving East, NE at 15 MPH.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
In talking with the Civil Defense director this evening, he said in the Morning 'Tele-conference' with the NWS and other EOC's, Texas Taskforce-II deployed to Collage station this morning to stage and be able to respond any direction needed for these storms tonight.

Boulder

March 18th, 2008
Clint Cooper
Tornado Sirens Scares Four Counties

A thunderstorm developed over Hunt County south of Greenville Monday and stirred people up in four counties. A tornado warning was issued on the cell as it moved slowly across western Hopkins into Delta and Lamar Counties. It caused damage in its path dropping 2.75 inch hail in areas and leaving power out in parts of Lamar County. A funnel cloud was taped moments after a tornado warning was issued for Hunt County around 5:40 pm. A funnel was sighted near Cash south of Quinlan. A third funnel cloud was also reported between Campbell and Commerce. The warning was lifted as the cell moved into Northwestern Red River County near Woodland.

http://www.easttexasdailynews.com/?c=125&a=9422

rbhtxk

Spotters in Delta County

Ok, I was in Delta County last night, and I spoke directly to Fort Worth NOAA NWS via RAILS link via 444.825 (pl 151.4) in Sluphur Springs (great HT coverage from Cooper). We reported a funnel cloud to NWS when the cell passed over- I am not sure of the time. Storm spotting was worked directly to NWS Fort Worth via RAILS via Sulphur Springs and Paris UHF links. Paris ARES worked their 2 meter link and RAILS chasing that cell, and others, into Oklahoma.

There is a RAILS link that is not active in Greenville; due to a controller issue at the Sulphur Springs tower site. The Greenville RAILS link is 444.625 (pl 151.4). This link can be activated remotely when needed. We are actively working on fixing the issue so it can be full-time linked. This 440 machine has great coverage in Greenville and is always on, just not linked at this time.

By the way, last night was as close as I had ever been to a funnel cloud. I did not feel the joy, but prayed for it to pass us by; we were at home and not mobile.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Boulder said:
March 18th, 2008
Clint Cooper
Tornado Sirens Scares Four Counties

People in Texas get SCARED over the sounding of a tornado siren? I'd think given the number of times you hear them, it's less of a fear and more of a "take action" response?

In any case - what's the Texas Taskforce 2 that you say was deployed?

nd5y

rdale said:
People in Texas get SCARED over the sounding of a tornado siren?
They don't even have to sound the sirens. The 1979 Wichita Falls tornado created a whole new mental illness.
Almost the same thing happens when they think it might snow or sleet.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
loumaag said:
I would guess that it would be this. Google is your friend.

I saw that - but I found it hard to believe they would deploy based on a forecast... Seems like a waste of manpower / money unless it's known to be a BIG event.

SCPD

QRT
After last years flooding, Texas Taskforce-2 dosn't play around when the forecast calls for the type of weather that materialized today. Thanks to our Wonderful Moderator for that link! (and we did expect this 24 hours prior to its arrival.)

RAILS is used in Counties which don't have Spotters, Hunt Co. has an ARES Team infact, Many Firefighters and Sheriff Deputies are Hams and run 2 meter radio In their vehicles and/or have the Greenville repeater programmed directly into the Sheriff radio itself. I learned this today while I was watching a creak rise very quickly neer Celeste and an S.O. unit pulled over to check it out too, and happened to be a ARES member.

NWS will go to RAILS in Fannin Co. also to talk as the 220 links and the range from Ft. Worth to "over here" is not great even on VHF. The links sure help them.

I am getting a SH*T LOAD of TXDOT activity tonight with Barricade crews blocking off everything!! I can say Bonham Operations were on (are still on) 151.0550 CSQ and not on the 151.0675 PL: 167.9, However the 151.0675 seems to be the Regional Dispatcher in Emory. <<(this may need to go to the other part of the TX Forums for furthur Investigation)

22:58 - Just heard a TXDOT Dispatcher saying to her crews, "Here comes another batch of rain"

As for the Sirens, in the Eastern parts of Texas the Sirens go off so little, that when they DO go off in the late Afternoon under a dark sky it tends to scare the living daylights out of us "Po-dunk Country folk"

OK TXDOT Ammended:

TXDOT Fannin Primary 151.0625 77.0
TXDOT Fannin & Regional HBB 151.0625 167.9 (Regional High Band Base - Emory Dispatcher to the region)
TXDOT Hunt Co. Operations 151.0925 167.9
TXDOT Mobile to Mobile 151.0550 CSQ

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Paris ARES 441.5250 discussing future events, Next serious batch expected into the area after midnight.

^^That was a mess-up, Paris 440 is actually 444.5000, the above was the Rockwall Co. frequency. (Too many radios going at once made that error)

Status
Not open for further replies.