Tornado Warnings (with data bursts?) in Central Franklin CO

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8WCA

OK They are having Tornado Warnings here in Central Franklin County.
And between the normal Sirens - I hear Data Bursts!

Is this new? - As I have never heard it before.

I know this is not actually Scanner/Radio related but hope someone that is hear knows about this.

Charlie W8WCA

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Crazy day huh? I was listening to the skywarn channel, and heard that they confirmed a touchdown in Northern Pickaway County.

19TbirdSC91

W8WCA said:

I know this is not actually Scanner/Radio related but hope someone that is hear knows about this.

Charlie W8WCA

No, this isn't new at all, I remember when I was younger, my dad and I got stuck in a storm out at Greenlawn, and they had the guy talking then too, basically just says to seek shelter immediately, hope this helps.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
W8WCA said:
OK They are having Tornado Warnings here in Central Franklin County. And between the normal Sirens - I hear Data Bursts!

You're hearing the activation tones being repeated; the Franklin County siren system uses RF links to activate/operate the sirens. As long as the sirens are activated, they'll repeat anything that comes from the control point.

Tom WA8PYR

Aaron88

W8WCA said:

Charlie W8WCA

Siren tones over a scanner? Do they sound like FD pager tones? What are Data bursts?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
He's talking about the tornado siren itself. (Note part where he says "not scanner related.")

StereoScout

I just got a hold of the new Uniden BC370CRS from a friend and as a scanner it is just an ordinary analog scanner. But the best surprising feature of this radio IMO is the EAS feature. Not only will it decode the EAS S.A.M.E. data stream on NOAA weather frequencies but it will decode ANY EAS data stream on ANY frequency within the limits of the radio ! And that includes AM, FM, & TV broadcasts, L.E.E.R.N, F.E.M.A., and other emergency service frequencies such as siren activations ! And it will decode ALL EAS event codes too and not just the ones the National Weather Service sends out. And that includes:
Emergency Action Notifications
Emergency Action Terminations
National Information Center
FEMA Administrative Messages
Network Message Notifications
Practice/Demo Warnings
Siren Activation
Federal National Periodic Tests
and others.
And one other nice EAS feature. This radio will immediately mute back to the standby mode once the emergency message is finished and the end EAS data stream is transmitted. Other radios just keep playing the audio until the 5 minute timer cuts off the audio. This one mutes immediately after the initial message if that is important to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.